Calculation of progress completion

Vishal Biyani
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 21, 2021

Based on the data analyzed so far, i see that Jira uses below formula to calculate "Progress" of the issue

Progress = Time Spent/Original Estimate. 

The issue that i see in the data is:

1. If issue Status Category is Done, however, Time Spent is less that Original Estimate, the Progress does not show 100%

2. If Time spent is greater than original estimate, the progress is shown as 100% even though the issueCategoryStatus is To Do or In Progress.

What is the guidelines to calculate right progress% in these cases?

8 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 23, 2021

No, it's generally not the right thing to do it en-masse, your people should be adjusting it when they realise it is wrong on a case by case basis (and only if it matters to your reporting)

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 23, 2021

Yes, that's correct - it preserves your original estimate, while allowing you to adjust the current estimate as you learn more about the task!

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 22, 2021

No, that's not right.  You shouldn't be changing the original estimate, it's there to have people estimate a piece of work before executing it.  The progress is a calculation based off the work logged against that estimate.  If, as work progresses, you realise your estimate is wrong, change the remaining estimate so you don't lose the information about your original estimate.

0 votes
Vishal Biyani
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 23, 2021

Thank You so much. Truly appreciate the time you have spent in responding to my queries. 

it has been really helpful in clearing all my doubts.

0 votes
Vishal Biyani
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 23, 2021

Thanks. 

One option to update remaining estimate is while creating work log entry. 

I tried to see if it is possible to update remaining estimate via Bulk estimate. it does not look like it is possible.

Is there any other alternative approach to update remaining estimate?

0 votes
Vishal Biyani
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 22, 2021

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- - I was under the wrong impression that remaining estimate is a field that is auto updated and should not be manually updated :-(

Thanks for clearing this out. 

To Summarize:

1. Original Estimate updated as: 10 hours

2. Actual Time entered: 12 hours

3. Developer estimates that it will take another 3 hours to complete the task

4. In this case Remaining estimate to be updated as: 3 hours

5. Once 3 hours of time is logged, remaining estimate will automatically be updated to Zero

It will be helpful if you can confirm now the understanding is correct.

0 votes
Vishal Biyani
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 22, 2021

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

Typically, to calculate Effort variation, we will see how much effort has been spent on top of effort estimate provided.

But looks like if we need to ensure Progress % is correct,

when OriginalEstimate is less that Actual Logged effort, we will have to revise the OriginalEstimate entered upwards. This will ensure that Progress% is reflected correctly. is the understanding correct?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 22, 2021

The system can only work with the data you have given it. 

I don't understand what you mean by the "right progress" - the time over estimate is the right calculation

Suggest an answer