Bolding or changing text color in Description adds HTML code

Judy Colonero October 2, 2019

When creating a new story (in the cloud version of JIRA), and adding bold or colored text to the Description field, html code is input during my entry of text. 

For example, I bolded the word 'Summary' and changed the text below it to green, this is what happens:  

*Summary:*
{color:#14892c}A minimal operations hardware and firmware prototype system needed. {color}

For many of my users who are not software savvy don't understand why this happens.  I'm assuming it is because we are on the cloud using a browser.  Does anyone else see this being an issue or have a workaround?

Thank you,

Judy

1 answer

0 votes
Amir Katz (Outseer)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 1, 2022

One of the changes Atlassian introduced in Jira Cloud is to close the security vulnerability where you could add HTML code and/or URLs in a field description, which would make the Jira Cloud server run arbitrary (and possibly malicious) code or redirect to sites with malware.

What they should do IMO is to allow the description to be a wiki-style render-able (like big text fields), including static images - but no HTML or URLs.

Since Jira already supports uploading images to the user's avatar, to project's avatar, and to issue type's avatar, the foundation is already there.

Suggest an answer