Best way to migrate project to Jira software

Az July 25, 2018

Hello all, 

We have been running JIRA core (not software) for a project for a couple years. We have hundreds of tickets that have been closed and ~50 active tickets for this project. 

We want to switch over to SCRUM for this project. I have installed JIRA Software and have it running in our JIRA instance. What is the best way to migrate our current issues into this new project? 

I could bulk move all the tickets to the new project but I'm not sure if that is the best way to proceed. 

Any suggestions would be much appreciated

3 answers

0 votes
Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 26, 2018

Aazir, 

Changing the project type will not modify any of your configurations. What I mean by that is your workflows will not change, your issue types will not change, ect. 

You will gain the ability to begin using boards that are linked directly with your project. 

The current tickets will be accessible just as they already are. If you already have JIRA Software installed, Epics are available as an issue type, but will not be automatically added into your project. You would need to perform that as a separate step.

Switching the project type shouldn't have any impact. 

Documentation can be found here. 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/confeval/jira-software-evaluator-resources/jira-software-how-can-i-change-a-project-type-from-business-to-software-and-software-to-business

0 votes
Az July 26, 2018

@Kian Stack Mumo Systems how will that affect current tickets though? Where will they go? Will the same issue types/request types be propagated? What about 'epics' which are an issue type for JIRA software but not for our current JIRA core installation. Will this instantly be added or will I have to do it in another manner? 

This is an active project with half a dozen people working on the tickets so I want to tread carefully and not break anything. 

0 votes
Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 25, 2018

Hello Aazir,

You don't need to create a new project. You can switch your current project type to a software project and create a new board for it. 

Example: 

Screen Shot 2018-07-25 at 11.46.57 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-07-25 at 11.47.09 PM.png First go to "Project settings"->"Details" and find the "Project Type". Switch that from business to Software.

Then create a new scrum board and you are good to go.

Suggest an answer