Best practices Multiple instances

Camille April 20, 2021

Hello Community ! 

We are currently planning on moving from server to cloud around september, 

But I would like an advice on some best practices. 

For now we have 1 jira (core/software/conf/service management) for all the company, and another instance because we have just aquired another company which already have jira cloud instance. 

1) For our main jira that we plan to migrate, is it better to have small separate instances, so the dev teams can have more autonomy on their projects (and just centralized the system admin), or let it in the same instance as it is ? 

2) Do you think it is better to integrate the other instance (the one already in the cloud) in our jira or to let it that way ? 

Thank you very much for your help !

5 answers

1 vote
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 20, 2021

In the Cloud offering there are two types of projects

- Company Managed (previously known as "classic")

- Team Managed (previously known as "next gen")

You can have both types of projects in one Cloud instance.

Company Managed projects are like what you have experienced with JIRA Server.

Team Managed projects were implemented to give teams more autonomy to manage the workflows and custom fields for themselves. But those customizations become unique to that one Team Managed project and cannot be shared, and they don't have all the same functionality that you are used to in the Company Managed projects.

You might want to do some research on Company Managed vs. Team Managed projects to see if that will suit your needs for giving more autonomy to the teams.

1 vote
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 20, 2021

Hello @Camille 

Welcome to the community.

When you say the dev teams can have more autonomy on their projects, exactly what do you mean by that?

In general I would suggest having one cloud instance. That should reduce the administration overhead, and allow the team members to easily cross boundaries and share information between projects. But I would like to understand what you mean by "autonomy" so that I might provide a response that is more related to your needs.

Ievgen Zheltukhin November 10, 2022

Hi Trudy, 

I do see you are quite experienced and could help me to address my thoughts.

We do have Cloud Instance for the whole organisation from which just 10% are Software Engineering team. The rest uses simplified projects just for ToDos tracking. 

But our SE guys do use a lot of paid apps, as a result 90% of users had never used them but had been billed. What is the best way to solve that? to have to Cloud Instances?

Thank you in advance.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 10, 2022

@Ievgen Zheltukhin 

When you have a question that is not the same as the original topic (dealing with billing for apps vs. migrating/merging instances) you should create your own new Question post in the community. Tacking on a tangential question to a post that is over a year old is considered a bad practice.

Like Matthias Gaiser _K15t_ likes this
0 votes
Camille April 21, 2021

Thank you very much , that was very helpful. 

I am going to read the articles you sent, to be more prepared. 

0 votes
Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 20, 2021

I'm backing what @Trudy Claspill said, in general I'd also aim for one instance. That makes collaboration a lot easier.

The team-managed projects might be a solution for giving teams more control over their projects. Here are some links to get you started:

Hope that might help to get you into the topic.

0 votes
Camille April 20, 2021

Hi @Trudy Claspill ,

Thank you for your response ! 

Well, for now I (as an Admin) am the only one who can make all the changes in jira system. For example if they need to change their workflow or want to create a new project ... 

So I was wondering if having little instances where they can be Admin of theirs, can be a solution ... 

But you are right, it would totally reduce the administration overhead..

Suggest an answer