Best practice on tracking development and QA across sprints

Sean Wiese February 2, 2018

Long time Product Mgr coming into a very specialized field, and taking over the Jira rollout, where the QA of a feature is much more intense and takes longer than compared to the development of the feature within the sprint. 

Yes, its not exactly "agile" by definition, but its the reality of the moment. 

I would like to run normal 2 week sprints for the development team, stories/bugs etc have them "done" or in a state I can close the sprint. 

Then those would appear in some sort of QA Ready state. Any bugs would be triaged into the new current sprint or just backlogged for later. 

To Do > In Dev > Complete/QA Ready (end of sprint) > In QA > Closed 

In reading the docs it looks like I should have separate Dev and QA tasks for the story, and that story would carry across sprints? 

Looking for some guidance. 

Thanks! 

3 answers

0 votes
Brittany Wispell
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 26, 2018

Hey @Sean Wiese

Good luck and let me know if you have questions about it. 

0 votes
Sean Wiese February 23, 2018

Thanks for the feedback! 

I want to take advantage of the built in reporting (obviously) so closing out the dev tickets/story would count as a completed ticket, but allow QA to carry forward from there. 

I dont mind the idea of cloning out a QA specific ticket, I will look into that. 

0 votes
Brittany Wispell
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 15, 2018

Hey @Sean Wiese

We had a team that used a QA project for this. 

The stories from a Jira Software project would be 'Cloned' during a transition in the workflow into the QA project where QA would do their part and when QA was done it would move the Story in the software project to 'Done'. I am sure there is a better way. Hopefully someone else can chime in on their experience. 

I've also seen it where there was a custom-field called Responsible Group and when the Responsible Group was set to QA the QA team would review the ticket and do their testing then when they were 'Done' they would complete the ticket. 

Suggest an answer