As a project adiminstrator, why can't i change permission to other?

kwanghee kim August 23, 2021

According a guide of jira, only jira administrator can change project permission to other.

As a project lead or adminstrator, I have a needs to change permission to other.

why can't i?  

It's reasnoable that project administrator can't change permission configuration.

please, show me the reason project administrator can't.

5 answers

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 24, 2021

Because the permissions are done at a global level.  Allowing a project administrator to be able to change permissions on everyone's projects is an unworkable disaster and would defeat the whole point of having administrators.  It is restricted to administrators because it's a global configuration.

If your admins use roles in the global permission schemes though, project administrators can add or remove people and groups in the roles, which then cascades into the user/group permission management for the project.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 26, 2021

That's a very different thing to being able to trash other people's projects because you feel yours is wrong.  I actually happily support the idea of project admins being able to select their own schemes.

Except that in the case of permissions (and some other schemes), you don't need it.  A properly designed permission scheme will empower the project owners to give people permissions by adding them to the roles in the projects.

There should be no need to change the schemes, that's far more clumsy than using roles properly.

0 votes
kwanghee kim August 26, 2021

Thnak you and I agree your opinion.

But, I only want to use a menu 'Use a different scheme' to use other scheme of permission.

Jira Admin made many permissions as 'Public Permission', 'Private Permsission', 'Special Permission' in my company.  

When project admin have a need to change from 'Public Permission' to 'Private Permission', he cann't change self.  

I don't know why project admin charging his project can't.   

0 votes
kwanghee kim August 25, 2021

I know that 'Actions' of permission in project settings have 2 menu.

1. Edit Permissions

2. Use a different scheme.

I agree that I shouldn't 'Edit Permission' because many project may use that permission scheme. 

But, Project Leader maybe want to change scheme of permission using 'Use a different scheme'. It may not affect other project.

So, I think that jira administrator can use 2 menu and project administrator can use 1 menu 'Use a different scheme'. 

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 25, 2021

Hello @kwanghee kim 

Welcome to the community.

The Permission Schemes can be shared between multiple projects. If a Project Administrator was permitted to change the settings within a Permission Scheme, that could impact other projects.

In what way do you need to change the permissions? Perhaps there is an alternative way to set up the Permission Scheme that your Jira Admins would be willing to do, that would enable you to achieve your goal, and would not negatively impact other projects.

Suggest an answer