Alternative to Rally for capacity planning in JIRA

Swati Gupta July 29, 2021

Hi Team,

Can anyone help me with proposing the best alternative for Rally software for Capacity planning which I can integrate with JIRA?

Answers are highly appreciable as it is an urgent requirement for me.

13 answers

4 votes
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 29, 2021

Hi Swati,

There are various options in Jira. Can you please elaborate your requirements? How do you manage your projects, how is your team organised, how the work is estimated and any other relevant details.

Options like Advanced Roadmaps, easy agile apps, big picture, tempo planner or may be using a reporting app like eazyBI can be useful.

Ravi

2 votes
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 29, 2021

Advanced Roadmaps can most of that but capacity management view might not give you the view your team is used to but that gap can be filled in by creating custom reports using eazyBI. I would say just evaluate Advanced Roadmaps first to see what all it can cover for your requirements.

1 vote
Ostap Zaishlyi _Reliex_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 4, 2021

The example of one of our reports.image.png

1 vote
Adam _SoftwarePlant_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 30, 2021

Hi @Swati Gupta 

Taking a look at your requirements, I assume that the BigPicture + BigPicture Enterprise from SoftwarePlant (the company I am part of) may come in handy. With its Resources module, you can easily track the workload allocation among your resources (also across multiple projects), estimate the work in general, and have an overall view of the work that needs to be done. Please take a look at our documentation page dedicated to the Resources panel below:

- Resources

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Adam

1 vote
Sajit Nair
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 29, 2021

I would +1 to @Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_ 's answer.

It would be good to understand your requirements in a bit more depth.

1 vote
Fabian A. Lopez (Community Leader - Argentina, Florida, California)
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 29, 2021

@Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_ , thanks. I was wondering the same as they are many apps that can help with that.

1 vote
Fabian A. Lopez (Community Leader - Argentina, Florida, California)
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 29, 2021

@Swati Gupta

We had that issue when we migrated from RallyDev to Jira. Our team created some workarounds, but I think they still have the same problem. Due to HIPAA, we are still with Jira Server.
Thanks a lot for triggering this discussion, as I need to address the same with my team. There is a lot of improvement in the tools since we migrated from RallyDev. Sorry for not providing a direct answer, but I will get back to the topic and let you know if we find a solution/workaround.
What do you currently have in addition to Jira Software Cloud?

0 votes
Ostap Zaishlyi _Reliex_
Marketplace Partner
August 4, 2021

Hello @Swati Gupta 

I am Ostap from Reliex.

You can check our ActivityTimeline app for Jira, it allows you to plan & track the capacity on individual & team levels, forecast the availability of certain resources or skills in the future.

The reports can be used to determine the utilization of different resources: in a particular project, epic, or in general.

We support estimation in hours, story points or internal estimates in hours/day format. 

This also comes with bundled time tracking solution, so you can then track where the time is getting spent & compare planned vs actuals.

0 votes
Ilze Leite-Apine
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 2, 2021

Hi,

Thank you, Ravi, for mentioning eazyBI.

Yes, based on Jira and apps information, you may create custom reports in eazyBI to fill the gaps between different apps and get all the needed information together.

Here is a sample dashboard with planning and forecasting report examples created in eazybi: https://eazybi.com/accounts/1000/dashboards/16201-forecast-and-management

You may check them out and let me know if you have any questions about them or your custom cases.

Ilze / support@eazybi.com

0 votes

@Sajit Nair - Thanks a lot for your quick answer.

Team used Rally just for capacity planning for the team, allocating work and forecasting.

Currently exploring Advanced Raodmaps, Capacity Tracker and Sprint Capacity Planning and Tracking plugins for exploring the similar features and to solve the purpose of team. 

So wanted to understand which can provide the best alternative source to rally in terms of allocating work, forecasting, estimating hours?

0 votes

@Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_ - Thanks a lot for your quick answer.

Team used Rally just for capacity planning for the team, allocating work and forecasting.

Currently exploring Advanced Raodmaps, Capacity Tracker and Sprint Capacity Planning and Tracking plugins for exploring the similar features and to solve the purpose of team. 

So wanted to understand which can provide the best alternative source to rally in terms of allocating work, forecasting, estimating hours?

0 votes

@Fabian A. Lopez (Community Leader - Argentina, Florida, California) - Thanks a lot for your quick answer.

Team is using JIRA Cloud Enterprise version. 

They really liked Rally with the capacity planning approach, trying to figure out Advanced Roadmaps as an alternative for the same.

Suggest an answer