Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

user-specific permissions for work flow

Troy October 12, 2020

My workflow involves approval where only 2-3 people on my team can approve. Is there a way I can set it so only they can approve and move the status from pending approval to approved?

Is there a way to make this a group permission if it can't be done on user level?

1 answer

0 votes
Jeroen Poismans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 12, 2020

Hi there and Welcome!

Depending on whether  you're in a SD project or not, there are several ways to do this. A way to do this is by adding a Condition on your transition (see screenshot). You can add the users to a group and then place a condition on the transition that only users in that group can do the transition.

When will this not work? When your question is about an approval in the SD portal. Was that your use-case? In that case you could use scripting to populate the approvers field of the issue once created.

Screenshot 2020-10-12 at 22.00.05.png

Let me know if this was helpfull.

Regards,

Jeroen

tokcum
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 13, 2020

Hi,

please also consider to use Project Roles. This is more flexible and more generic, so in practice you benefit in two ways from Project Roles:

1. Project Roles can be configured by Project Admins while Jira Groups have to be configured by Jira System Administrators. So Project Roles allow delegation.
  2. Workflows could be used in multiple projects. If you refer in Workflows to Jira Groups this is fixed for all projects using this workflow. Using Project Roles is more generic because it abstracts from fixed Jira Groups. In each project you can then define members of the Role which could be Jira Groups or single Accounts.

Kind regards,

Tobias

tokcum
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 15, 2020

Hi,

related to "scripting to populate the approvers field" an important detail came into my mind. In the configuration of a field with type "user picker (multiple)" you should be able to define a default value. Such a field configuration can be project specific. If you don't put that field on an edit mask, users can not change the defined approvers.

This could be a simple approach to avoid scripting. A disadvantage is obviously that it is not very flexible.

Kind regards,

Tobias

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events