"Watch" component grayed out

MichelleBushong January 25, 2021

Hello,
We use Jira cloud and would like to enable the "watch" component. Currently the eye is grayed out. When I go to "configure" and select "components", I am asked to "create a component". This isn't what we want to do. We want to enable the existing feature aka the "watch" component. Can you tell me how to do this?
Thanks!

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 25, 2021

@MichelleBushong -

Are you trying to add users to "Watch" the issue in JSD?  Have you try to populate the field "Requested Participants", this essentially the same as watcher functionality.  Once it is populated, then those participants will be able to access the issue via the JSD portal.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Thank you, Jospeh. Where can I find "requested participants"?
Capture.JPG

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 25, 2021

@MichelleBushong - hi Michelle! Are you trying to watch an issue, so you can receive updates via email?

Can you attach a screenshot?

Capture.JPG

Like Dave Liao likes this

Hi Dave,
Yes that's what I am trying to do. We have numerous users per dept. and they would like to watch tickets that impact their areas. What should I try?

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 25, 2021

@MichelleBushong - review Atlassian's documentation on watching issues.

To note, ensure that whoever is trying to watch a particular issue has permission to watch issues within that project.

Hope that helps!

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 25, 2021

p.s. your question seems to be about core Jira functionality. Joseph's answer applies to Jira Service Management (which you might have installed... or not!) when customers/requestors are accessing an issue from the customer portal view.

If you don't have Jira Service Management, don't worry about it. If you do, his answer is good to understand too. 😊

All of the users have either "Admin" access or "Customer" access and none of us can get the watch option.

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 25, 2021

Since you have the concept of Customer, you have Jira Service Management enabled! 

Press G G on your keyboard, then type in "Permission Helper". Type in a user name (like yours), then check the permission "Watch Issues". 

2Capture.JPGI think we are getting closer! This is what I see. There wasn't a "Watch Issues" option. Thoughts?

Like Dave Liao likes this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 25, 2021

Try "Manage Watchers"! :) 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events