java.net.SocketTimeoutException on Jira Service Desk

Chris Schulte November 11, 2020

I'm also asking about this from our university mail service provider, which is working with Office 365.

Our outgoing email stopped working recently. We have O365 SMTP enabled on our host side.

When I try a test email, all I get is:

Outbound mail times out:An error has occurred with sending the test email:com.atlassian.mail.MailException: javax.mail.MessagingException: Exception reading response;  nested exception is: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out at com.atlassian.mail.server.impl.SMTPMailServerImpl.sendWithMessageId(SMTPMailServerImpl.java:222) at com.atlassian.mail.server.impl.SMTPMailServerImpl.send(SMTPMailServerImpl.java:174) at com.atlassian.jira.plugins.mail.webwork.SendTestMail.doExecute(SendTestMail.java:95)

Has anyone else had these problems?

Thanks,

Chris

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 14, 2020

Hi Chris,

this suggests your Jira server is not able to reach the mail host (in the cloud) for O365.
Have you checked for recent firewall changes / changes in infrastructure?

Have you changed anything related in your Jira instance and/or on your Jira host lately?

By some chance it was only a short outage within MS Cloud.

Cheers,
Daniel

Chris Schulte November 16, 2020

Thanks Daniel. As it turned out, it was a firewall issue. I guess there was a request made a while back to block most of the ports to that site and they just started to affect things on Nov. 6. 

Cheers,

Chris

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events