Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

error creating tickets from email. It was working, then it stopped!

Hi,

Relatively new to Jira cloud (using the free service desk version).  I've set up service manager (as a one person IT helpdesk) and I did have it collecting emails sent to 'helpdesk@domain.com' and creating tickets.  But, it has now stopped working and I get the error 

'Cannot create issue due to invalid license: [Sorry, you can't create any issues right now, as you need to have access to a Jira application to be able to create issues. To gain application access you need to be a member of a group assigned to an application.]'

What have I done wrong?

2 answers

@Joseph Chung Yin 

Amazing thank you.

Ok - so, all of my users are there (from directory sync I assume!) and they have 'Service Desk Customer' selected in their drop down.

I don't have SSO set up (we're using the free licence - we're a very small non-profit).

I've searched for my test user and this is what I got.

Screenshot 2022-06-03 093001.png

Thanks!

0 votes

@Dave Giles -

Welcome to the community first of all.  In JSM typically, one must be associated to the project's Service Desk Customer role to have the ability to create issue.

Can you check to see "service manager" account setup to ensure it has access to to your env and JSM project in question?  I assume you are trying to create ticket in your JSM project(s) and not Jira software project(s).

Let me know what your findings are, so I can suggest further of the next steps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Thanks Joseph!

Sorry - I'm not sure where to look for that!  Could you give me some guidance?

Cheers,

Dave.

@Dave Giles -

For project role verification -

1) Go to your JSM project in question, then access Project settings

2) In the Project settings >> People

2022-06-02_16-14-44.png

2022-06-02_16-15-48.png

Let me know what you find.

Best, Joseph

Amazing thank you.

Ok - so, all of my users are there (from directory sync I assume!) and they have 'Service Desk Customer' selected in their drop down.

I don't have SSO set up (we're using the free licence - we're a very small non-profit).

I've searched for my test user and this is what I got.

just doing some testing with a co-worker.  I asked him to submit an email ticket, he did, I got it and he got the 'we're working on it email'. BUT, when I go to the notification helper he is showing up twice and it tells me he doesn't have permission to view the issue (testing with either of the two user entries), even though he created it and is a 'service desk customer' in the project people settings.

Interestingly, he only shows up once in the 'people' list, not twice as in the screenshot.

Screenshot 2022-06-03 094136.png

In regards to issue viewing, creator of the issues (this case it will be the customer typically), he/she can only access the issues via the Portal UI and not direct Issue UI found within the project UI.

So, you are still not able to get issue created via email right for your specific user?

Best, Joseph

Ahh ok.  

The issue creates OK and seems to work in terms of email comments coming back (if the user replies to the email.)

Why is he being listed twice?

The portal asks him to log in - I assume he needs to create a user account because I can't set up SSO on the free licence?

@Dave Giles -

The reason why your user has two accounts, it can be caused by the following -

1) The person's account got created when he/she send email for issue submission.

2) Subsequently, you or the system admin create the second account manually.

For portal access, user will need to log into your env using his/her email address + pwd.  Thus, the email address needs to be unique.

Can you tell me how did the second account got created?

Best, Joseph

Hi Joseph,
I hope you had a good weekend.

It has to have been reason 1 - auto creation, because I am the admin (and the only IT person!) and I didn't create it.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Service Management

Coming Soon: Insight Changing to Assets

The 2020 acquisition of Mindville added powerful asset and configuration management capabilities to Jira Service Management in the form of Insight. Following the completion of that integration, custo...

492 views 3 13
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you