'default event user' selection

hg January 30, 2018

Our version is JIRA 7.5.0

I'd like to update the "default event user" in Service Desk->Project Settings->Automation->Change default event user. When I click on 'Change default event user', there is a short list of users, but the user I'd like to select is not selectable, a service account set up specifically for this role. The desired user has several admin level permissions. The available users to choose are NOT the desired choice. How or where are users added to be visible in the selectable list for: 

default event user

Any help is appreciated. Let me know what info I may provide to help answer the question.

Regards,

Hugh Gee

5 answers

2 votes
Trevan Householder_Isos-Tech-Consulting_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 29, 2018

In my case, I couldn't see any other users listed to choose from, even though many other users had the proper permissions and 'should' have been seen on a list of available users.  

You actually have to type the user name into the dropdown box and you'll then be able to select the user if they have the correct permissions.

Default Automation User.png

Paul Cudina February 7, 2019

Trevan, what permissions does 'JSD Automation' have in your permission scheme? I can't seem to work out how to display JSD Automation (or similar) in the drop down list as you have shown.

Trevan Householder_Isos-Tech-Consulting_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 7, 2019

@Paul Cudina, I believe our JSD Automation user has Jira-administrator permissions (need to verify that to be sure), but at the very least it has Agent (Service Desk Team) permissions. 

Agents cannot administer this project but based on the permission scheme on this particular project, they can:

• Browse projects
  • Service Desk Agent
  • View Read-Only Workflow
  • Issues: All issue permissions
  • Manage Watchers
  • View Voters and Watchers
  • All comment permissions
  • All attachment permissions
  • Most time tracking permissions
  • Work on Issues

When you start typing into the field, does it show you a filtered list?  Typing into the field is the key that unlocks the list of available users, in my experience.

Like # people like this
Matthew May 8, 2019

Thanks Trevan :)  That did the trick for me.

LatoriaJ July 20, 2020

Typing into the field was the tip I needed :) It's a drop down field that looks as if you can't type in it. slightly deceiving.   Thanks @Trevan Householder_Isos-Tech-Consulting_  

Like # people like this
Yenchi Cheng September 8, 2020

OMG spent so much time on it and all I need to do is typing something..... Thank you!!!!

Toni Santonja Roig July 21, 2021

THANKS!! Several minutes lost and it was just a typing field...

0 votes
Organisation Admin September 3, 2019

Quite confusing! It looks like there are no other options when clicking on the arrow. But when you start to type, it does show more options. Pfieew.

Screenshot 2019-09-03 at 11.59.20.png

janeta kozak October 5, 2020

I have the same issue.

Somnath Raveenthiran July 27, 2022

How to solve this issue ? I m also facing the same

janeta kozak July 27, 2022

Thanks. Already irrelevant.

Somnath Raveenthiran July 27, 2022

@janeta kozak how you have resolved this? any idea

0 votes
hg March 19, 2018

Thanks much, Lachlan. Have set up via Permissions Scheme the edit_issues and browse_projects permissions for the service account for automation. Great article. Am testing now to see how it goes-

Hugh

0 votes
Lachlan G
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 25, 2018

hg,

You set those permissions up not on the user management page but on the Permission Schemes page. https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/managing-project-permissions-938847145.html

- Jira Service Desk Team

0 votes
Lachlan G
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 22, 2018

Hi hg,

From what I can tell the user the only criteria for who can run automation rules is that they have the BROWSE_PROJECTS and EDIT_ISSUES permissions for the project.

Let me know if that helps.

- Jira Service Desk Team

hg February 23, 2018

Hi Lachlan, thanks much for weighing in. Where are those permissions assigned? What I see under user management seems to be able to assign permissions by adding users to groups or groups permissions to the user. It doesn't appear to be like the scheme for BROWSE_PROJECTS and EDIT_ISSUES. I'd like to make the "user" for the default event user to be a service account created called svc-AutoRules, full name is: service account rules automation address.

Hugh

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events