Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

copy comment to new comment with automation

Steph Bannister May 18, 2021

Hi.

I'm using Email this Issue with JIRA SErvice management, and we want to ideally use this as a way to reply to customers (instead of the reply to customer comment option).

But I run into the problem that I want to have the email text added as a  public comment on the issue (for customer visibility as well - else thread information is lost ) in order to trigger status transitions and SLA tracking.

BUT if I do so, customers get both the email plus the notification (via email) of the comment being added.

So I thought one solution would be to add the email tesxt as a comment but only for internal visibility, and then copy this comment text to a public comment with an additional prefix included in the text.

Then to use this prefix to define a connected rule that blocks a customer notification from being sent IF the public comment contains this specified prefix.

The alternative would be to have email this issue add the comment as public and include all comment details and use a standard text string from the header details to define a condition for if the customer notification is sent.

My questions are 

1. how to copy the comment text via an automation rule - how to specify if the comment is internal or public in the query?

2. to remove the customer notification when the public comment is added, do I need to disable the standard customer notifications for JIRA service management and setup a new Automation rule for the customer notifications when comments are added to the project?

3. Is there a better way to fix the duplicated notification problem with email this issue?

Thanks for any tips!

Steph

1 answer

1 vote
Steph Bannister May 27, 2021

I have been working on this and it is somewhat doing what I want it to.

The problem I have is that I want to disable the usual customer notification from being sent (easy if I turn it off) and replace it with an email sent as a result of the automation rule being triggered.

It works like this:

1. if an email is sent via email this issue, the text from this email is added as an internal comment

2. this triggers the automation rule which looks for "Email" in the name of the user who triggered the commenting, and copies the comment body into a public comment which is authored by "Automation for JIRA"

3. then the rule cheks if a public comment is added and if it's by "Automation for JIRA" it does NOT sent an email and just transitions the status. OR ELSE, if the public comment is made by any one else (i.e. the assignee) then the comment body is sent as an email notification.

But here's where I still get stuck. With automation you can set the "Actor" from whom the final email is sent. Ideally customer notifications are sent from either the Assignee's name, OR from the Site. But I can only specify ONE user as the Actor for the automation rule.

I want to avoid setting up separate copied automation rules for each agent/possible assignee.

I can try user who triggered the event as the actor, but since this will be sometimes :Email this issue or Automation for JIRA - then customers get emails with nasty "Automation for JIRA" as the from name. I want that this displays as our company or their agent for each case (whether we use reply to customer or email this issue).

This is a bit tricky. I'm going to ask email this issue for some support as well but if anyone has ideas please let me know how I could set this up in a smarter way so that email notifications sent from the automation rule can be shown to come from the assignee?

Cheers

Steph

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events