Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working with Required Fields on the Resolution Screen

Ryan Rosenthal August 12, 2020

Hello,

We have many fields that we require have information in them before an issue can be resolved. These are internal fields and not something we offer to customers to fill out. We have set these up as required fields at resolution using JSU Automation Suite for Jira Workflows. 

The issue we run into with our agents is that when they go to resolve a ticket, they don't know which fields are required and which are not. They try to resolve the issue and get a custom message stating which fields need to be filled in but it is not a list of fields THEY are missing, just a generic list of fields we require they fill out. This frustrates our agents.

To fix this, I thought about adding these fields to the resolution screen so they can fill out the fields at resolution but this doesn't work for us either because the system doesn't recognize those fields as having a value and instead gives out the missing fields error message.

Have any of you run into this issue? How have you configured required fields for agents?

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 12, 2020

I would suggest using the Validator option in the workflow transition to Resolved to confirm the fields have values, and also present those fields on the screen that is used by the workflow transition so they can be filled in if empty.

Ryan Rosenthal August 17, 2020

Hi Trudy,

Thank you for the reply. That is how I have it setup now but it does not present those fields on the screen as you suggest it will. Is there an additional step I need to take to offer those fields in a screen?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 17, 2020

Hello @Ryan Rosenthal 

You must

1. Make the fields available in the Field configuration associated with the project.

2. Construct a screen that includes the fields you want to present.

3. Associate that screen with the workflow transition

If you are unfamiliar with any of those steps let me know and I can provide more details.

Ryan Rosenthal August 17, 2020

Thanks @Trudy Claspill 

It sounds like you are taking about creating an additional screen besides the Resolution screen. Is that correct?

If so, that could work. Thank you!

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 17, 2020

@Ryan Rosenthal 

What are you referring to when you say "the Resolution screen"?

I am referring to a screen that you would include in your workflow transition. You would see that screen named in the transition definition as shown here.

Screen Shot 2020-08-17 at 4.03.55 PM.png

For the transitions that go to the Resolved status (or whatever name you use for that status), you need to have a screen that includes the fields you want to validate and any other fields that you want to allow the agents to edit during the transition.

Using a Validator in the workflow will not put the "required field" asterisk next to those fields, but you can provide a message that will display if the validation fails. You can check each required field in a separate validator, or combine multiple fields in a single validator. The validators will be gone through in order, but only one validator's message will display. If there are multiple missing required fields, only the message for the first missing required field will display.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events