Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why doesn't a Jira Service Management project have the 'Issues' search ?

Michael Green June 23, 2022

Why doesn't a Jira Service Management project have the 'Issues' search feature like other projects ?

How do I write queries and filters against a Service Desk project ?  

image.png

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 24, 2022

@Yatish Madhav has already explored most of what I was going to say, but I wanted to add a general usage point.

In Service Desk projects, your Agents are not really expected to be going off to find issues with arbitrary searches, they're expected to be working on the next most important thing they can, which is determined by the queues.  They don't want to be spending time clicking on "issues -> enter some search -> find next most important thing they can do"

There's always the option to use the main issue search too.

Michael Green June 24, 2022

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist-  I don't disagree with your point.... but as someone who has used Jira for many years I found Service Management to be a little too cut down.  So whilst acknowledging your point ..... I don't know why you can have an option to explicitly add the Íssues' back into the left bar so its consistent with other 'normal jira projects.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 25, 2022

One constant complaint about Jira is that pages have so much on them, they are confusing, so Atlassian are always trying to balance "minimising fuss" against "putting useful stuff on a screen".  JSM users are not expected to be using arbitrary searches much, if at all, and the option is there in the menu, so why complicate a screen with it? 

Your point that it would make JSM projects a bit more similar to non-JSM projects isn't really a lot of use - you could use the same argument to argue queues should be added to development projects (which do queues with backlogs)

0 votes
Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 23, 2022

Hi @Michael Green - it does have it, though it is categorized under the Queries as the specified Query/Request types.

RE the queries or filters you can do so here (just replace SITENAME and ServiceDeskProjectNameOrKey)

https://SITENAME.atlassian.net/issues/?jql=project=ServiceDeskProjectNameOrKey  

Thank you
Yatish

Michael Green June 23, 2022

@Yatish Madhav  Please send me a screenshot of 'Under Queries'.....

Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 23, 2022

You should see something like this ...

Screenshot from 2022-06-24 08-47-37.png

@Yatish Madhav  I can't see a JQL or Query interface anywhere in your screenshot.  Where ?

Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 24, 2022

Apologies (early morning still :) )

I meant to say Queues (not Queries) - so in first option in your screen grab.

RE the JQL , the link I shared above should give you what you need to filter all the issues in a specific SM project. Ie https://SITENAME.atlassian.net/issues/?jql=project=ServiceDeskProjectNameOrKey  

OR

https://SITENAME.atlassian.net/issues/?jql=project=ServiceDeskProjectNameOrKey AND status IN (status1, status2) to get all isses in a project that are in a specific project

Thank you

@Yatish Madhav So there is no way to navigate through the User Interface to this JQL / issues interface..... which is the original point I was making.  

Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 24, 2022

Well, Queues > All Open - shows them all. You can edit the fitler with the 3 dot menu top right and edit it that way

But The link I shared offers more flexibility so you can filter any really - not only for a project -  but technically ther is always a way :D

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events