Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does a public comment that gets copied by automation get an internal one?

Richard Scholtes April 30, 2021

I created a global automation rule that syncs the comments between two tickets in two different Jira Service Management projects.

Unfortunately if I limit this rule Jira Service Management Projects I lose the option to choose the visibility of the comment.

I would expect it to be gone, only because the projects are the same type and the type of the original comment will just be taken over. But this does not happen.

No matter if the comment is to the customer or internal the Automation for Jira user will copy it as an internal comment.

Changing the executing user to my own or another administrator does not help.

What do I miss here?

3 answers

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 8, 2021

If I understood everything right there is an issue in "previous" issue tracker with Codebarrel (Atlassian aquired Corebarrel some time ago) which deals with this annoying effect:

Assuming this is the case what you are seeing here the suggestion either would be to wait for a fix or to try the workaround listed over there (add an if-else with two matching comment actions).

Hope this helps a bit.

Regards,
Daniel

0 votes
Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 30, 2021

My guess is It might also be a license issue - the automation user may not have an agent seat, and thus can only create internal comments.

as I wrote, I already tried it out with my user, which has all the rights he needs in JSM and is of course fully licensed.

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 30, 2021

My apologies - you had written that you had created the global rule and applied it to those projects, but it wasn't clear to me that you also had an agent license for JSM. 

0 votes
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 30, 2021

What I normally do is first check the type of comment using {{comment.internal}}, it will return true for internal comment and in those cases I don't use the add public comment checkbox. I use if else block for either adding internal or external comments.

I think I'm not really understanding what you are suggesting. How should I - even if I successfully checked - define a comment to be public, if the option to do so goes missing as soon as I narrow the range of the rule down to Service Projects?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events