Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whats the easiest way to give further people/customers access to comment on a JSD ticket?

David at David Simpson Apps
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 21, 2020

Person A raised the ticket, but persons B & C need access to view and comment on the ticket.

I tried going down this route -- What are request participants?   -- but it just gives the customer a link to the agent's screen, which then 404s because of a lack of permission.

This really shouldn't be hard, but I can't figure it out.

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 23, 2020

So, it looks as though I've been using this wrong (of course).

I was trying to request participants using the Share functionality...

Screenshot 2020-09-22 at 18.06.00.png

...but that is not the way to do it.

I realised that JSD has been conveniently hiding the functionality from me in the bottom right hand corner of the screen:

Screenshot 2020-09-23 at 20.04.31.png

Expand this out and you will see:

Screenshot 2020-09-23 at 20.05.30.png

In this field you can add the email address of any person who has already been added as a customer in JSD -- a step which you should have performed beforehand 🙃

Convoluted yes, but possible.

Maybe it was easier in the old Jira issue view, but I haven't seen any documentation on how you'd share a ticket with more than one customer.

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 23, 2020

Well you can always click the ‘open/view request in portal’ and share it through the customer view. But indeed. The request participants field is the only way to properly share it with a customer. 
and you can always de multiple people there :)

Marketplace Partner
September 23, 2020

Thanks for your replies @Dirk Ronsmans 🙇‍♀️

Now that I can actually see the field, it's much easier for me to understand how to use it.

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 23, 2020

Yeah. The new issue view takes some getting used to. 
empty fields are pretty much always hidden under those ‘additional fields’

we’ll have to get used to it tho cause doubt they will roll it back to the old view :)

But glad you found the solution!

1 vote
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 21, 2020

Hi @David at David Simpson Apps ,

Request participants should be the way to go tho. They are the same as if the customer would share the issue through the portal.

You mention they are given the Agent view link (which then 404's), that doesn't really make sense. If you have a person that is just a customer the Agent link should redirect them to the Customer Portal (cause the system knows they are not an agent).

This link, do you manually provide it to them or is it given through the Customer Notifications (Event: Request Participant Added)?

When I look at that notification template it actualy contains a link to the Customer Portal so a redirect shouldn't even be needed.

Could you check and let us know what your template looks like?

The people you are sharing with, are they agents as well? Or just customers?

Marketplace Partner
September 22, 2020

According to https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-desk-cloud/docs/what-are-request-participants/ -- you can just use the share button in the agent view to add a customer.

Screenshot 2020-09-22 at 18.06.00.png

I've tried this twice now, and it just send them to the agent view, which 404s.

The person I'm sharing it with is a customer, and their account seems to have been auto created as a customer too.

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 22, 2020

Have you been able to verify the link that is being sent to them through the customer notifications?

I feel like the documentation is wrong here. When I try sharing like that I indeed get an email with the agent view link.

This does however not add them to the request participants.

If I however add a customer to the Request Participants field they get the proper "customer notification" with the portal link.

image.png

0 votes
Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
September 21, 2020

We use the Request Participants field like cc on emails.

Customers can create a login to JSD simply by emailing our support email address, and also create logins for others by cc'ing them on the email.

Check out your project customer permissions

0 votes
Jason Galea
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 21, 2020

Add an additional field and name it for example “stakeholders” and add that field on the screens of the issue type. No need to add it into the customer portal (unless you want customers to add people themselves)

on the permission scheme, grant the “browse” and “comment on issues” permissions to the  newly added custom field. 

when accessing a ticket, you can add people individually into the field and they should have access. 

make sure those people already have an account on jira. Customer account should be enough so no need to add licenses

cheers,

jason

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 21, 2020

But why?

The Request Participants mechanism exists just for this use case. When invent something new that you need to maintain separately? 

I'm a big fan of creative solutions but also of using functions/features of a tool out of the box and troubleshooting if it goes wrong if they exist, instead of building something cause it's not working as intended.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events