Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the difference of these three?

Mela August 2, 2022

What is the difference of these three? Please see the images below

a.) User

b.) Customer

c.) People

Is the Customer list the view for those customers who sign up from the Customer Portal? Am I correct? Is also see it under User? Please let me know if I am correct or not

Users.JPG

Customers.JPG

People.JPG

2 answers

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 2, 2022

Hi @Mela ,

so you have hit on one of the most confoundingly confusing aspects of JSM, at least in my opinion. I will do my very best here to give you an answer that clarifies things a bit for you. However it still confuses me too. 😉

Customers - this option exists on the main side bar of every JSM project. It allows non-administrators, i.e. Agents to view all of the customers that can create issues in the project. Note that if you have customer permissions set up to allow anyone to access the project then all customers that exist in the Jira instance will appear here.

People - this is where the administrator has the ability to define what roles each user has. In the simplest form he would have service desk team which equates to your agents, customers and admins. However you may also have things like collaborators or other roles. So in summary this area presents the more complete view of your project where users are concerned.

To be clear the term users encompasses all individuals associated with the project.

Now you Users screen is from the admin settings area of your instance which is project independent so you will find all user in this area. Note that some customers will be found under users while others will exist under the JSM section. The later are not associated with an Atlassian account while the former are. 

hope that helps.

0 votes
Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 2, 2022

Users cover those that have Application Access (occupy a license) for products in a cloud site.  This breaks down to product users (have Application Access), product admins, and site admins.

Within Jira Service Management you can have customer users per project.  Customers shows all customers that have either created an account via portal, sent an email to the address that takes in Email Requests, or responded to invitations from the JSM Admin, depending how permissions are set.

People within a JSM project covers customers and people in the project that have Application access.  This also shows what roles they have in the project.

Hope this helps.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events