Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does the "request language" custom field do?

Capi [resolution]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 26, 2021

Hi,

I keep seeing the "request language" in JSM, and I'm not exactly what it does. I have tried to find documentation, but the only thing I can find is this: https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/service-desk/rest/intro/#request-language.

I'm a bit confused just by looking at the first sentence:

"By default, responses are translated based on the requesting user's language preference, or the Jira site default language if anonymous."

It talks about translating requests, but I'm not aware that JSM translates request content in any way. Am I wrong? Is this something Atlassian is working on? Can it already be done through the Jira Cloud Platform APIs?

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 1, 2021

Hello @Capi [resolution],

Thank you for your question!

The Request Language field shows the language that the customer is using in the customer portal.

This only works if the languages set in the project are visible to customers and up to date. They can select any language on their profile, but it will only show on the Request language the ones that were added to the project. 

With this said, if the customer goes to their profile in the customer portal and changes their language, for example, to Portuguese or Spanish, once they create a ticket, it will show their language, so agents will know what language they are using.

Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 15.41.34.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 15.41.07.png

If they don’t change the language or the preferred language is not visible, it will show by default “English”.

Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 15.48.17.png

Hope this helps!

If you have any other questions regarding this matter, please let us know.

Kind regards,
Angélica

Capi [resolution]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 1, 2021

Thanks for the reply Angelica!

It's all clear now.

Like Angélica Luz likes this
Ellie Bellemans September 9, 2021

Hi @Angélica Luz 

Do you know how I can set this language when creating a request through the rest api? The documentation doesn't seem to mention it and when querying the fields for a request type it also doesn't show.

Many thanks

Ellie Bellemans September 9, 2021

Just to get a few options out of the way :) 
I tried to follow this guide https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Service-Management/Service-API-custom-field-not-valid-for-a-Request-type/qaq-p/662184 but it's seems it's for an older version of jira.

Either way, I tried adding the "request language" field to the request type but got the following error:

image.png

1 vote
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 10, 2021

Hello @Ellie Bellemans,

Thank you for reaching out to Community!

The Request language field is automatically filled based on the browser’s language or the one the customer selects in their profile on the customer portal. 

That’s why when adding the field to the request form, it will be hidden and it’s not possible to set a default value because it will be the default language of the project.

With this said, it will also not be possible to set the value using API when creating the ticket on behalf of the customer.

There was a feature request suggesting this ability, but it was closed as “Won’t fix” since there was only one vote since it was created:

Currently, there is no workaround for that since the field is also not supported on Automation.

Kind regards,
Angélica

Ellie Bellemans September 13, 2021

Hi Angélica,

Thanks for your reply! I posted the question again in a seperate post since I thought that others might be interested in the answer (and it would be easier to google) https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Service-Management/How-to-set-Request-Language-for-requests-created-with-the-REST/qaq-p/1801609#M86898

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
September 14, 2021

Hi Ellie,

Thank you for posting a new question. I will add an answer there as well.

Kind regards,
Angélica

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events