• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Want a login-free access to search and knowledgebase articles on Service Desk Server

Hi, we installed Jira Service Desk server version.  Connected it with Confluence articles and the search works fine when logged in.  But, we need to give users access to search articles for self-service resolutions without logging a support ticket.  There are articles about a login-free portal, but they all seem to apply to Cloud.  We are using Server (self-hosted).  

What's the best way to allow users to simply search and find articles to solve problems, without being logged in?  

We may have potential users that need to learn from a FAQ before becoming a customer and we don't want any friction for them to review articles. 

Thanks

3 answers

0 votes
Daniel Ebers Community Leader Dec 29, 2020

Hi Jozef,

as long as the two applications (Jira Service Desk Server and Confluence Server) are linked using Oauth with impersonation customers should be able to view knowledge base articles without logging in. 

Steps to reach that goal are written in this guide:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/servicedeskserver/set-up-a-knowledge-base-for-self-service-956713310.html#Setupaknowledgebaseforself-service-trueapplink_confluence.png503.LinkJiraServiceDesktoConfluence 

Please check and let us know what you found out.

Regards,
Daniel

0 votes

If you grant "anonymous" access to the Knowledge Base space, the whole world will be able to read and search, although it will be the Conflluence search, not the service desk in Jira.

Thank you.  Still not working.

I believe I'm following both suggestions. 

Here is a review of what I have verified/done:

1.  Application links are working in both directions from Service Desk to Confluence, using OAuth (Impersonation). 

2.  In Confluence, for the Space used in the linked JSD Knowledgebase, I went to Space Tools > Permissions and set Anonymous Access for Anonymous to enabled (green check box) for All>View.  I confirmed that any web visitor that accesses the URL of the space can retrieve info.  So anonymous access is possible to the space from the Confluence URL.

3.  In Service Desk, for the project, I went to Project Summary > Permissions > Scheme and edited it.  In there, for Browse Projects, I granted Group> "Anyone on the web".

When I hit access either the top level portal at <servdesk URL>/customer/portals OR the project specific portal at <servdesk URL>/customer/portal/2 I'm faced with the Log in screen. 

So, still no anonymous access is possible from Service Desk.  

NOTE:  It works fine if I'm logged in, both portal pages come up.

What could still be wrong?  

Confluence seems to be doing it's thing, allowing anonymous access to the space, but it's not possible when trying from the JSD project.  

I'd like to offer our customers the access through JSD so that if they don't find what they want via anonymous search, they can then still make an account or just submit a request with an email to open a ticket.

Daniel Ebers Community Leader Dec 29, 2020

From what I understood so far (and also the comment from Nic) you have done everything right and the status you have is all you can got with the current design of Jira Service Management/Desk on Server.

There is a Suggestion to improve but for Server there will be no progress short-term probably:
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDSERVER-1030

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Service Management

Why upgrade to Jira Service Management Premium?

We often have questions from folks using Jira Service Management about the benefits to using Premium. Check out this video to learn how you can unlock even more value in our Premium plan.  &nb...

196 views 1 6
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you