Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

User is not able to move issues within the board

Hi all, 

I'm having an issue where a user is not able to move issues within the Kanban board and is presented with this error. I attached a copy of the workflow here as well. This user is an administrator currently. When checking the permissions helper, they are listed as being able to move issues on the board.

Thanks much!

MicrosoftTeams-image (4).png

jira2.PNG

2 answers

3 votes

@Clam -

You will need to also check to see by accessing the WF transition (edit the WF) to see if there are any condition, post function that may contribute to the issue.

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for the advisement, I was able to access the workflow. I don't believe any properties are set for any of the transitions or statuses. Is there somewhere else I can check to see if my workflow is functioning properly?

@Clam -

So there is no finding against the transitions that go into IN PROGRESS?

You can try to see if someone (another admin for the same project) else or add yourself to the Administrator role to the project in question, then try to execute the same transition operations to determine if it works or not.

Lastly, does the administrator user in question has agent license and also as a member of the Service Desk Team role?

Best, Joseph

Like Clam likes this

Thanks @Joseph Chung Yin 

There is no formatting that affects the status TO DO -> IN PROGRESS. I was able to get a screenshot of the role permissions - does this look right to you in that everyone in these roles should have access to the service project agents parts of our board?

jira3.PNG

@Clam -

What is the actual permission scheme associated with the project in question?  Can you provide that too.  

Ok, you can also edit the WF and re-publish it again.  Afterward try to conduct the transition move again.  Were you able to conduct the transition as I suggested?

Lastly, please ensure the "issue type associated with the problem issue is using the WF that you screenshot.

Best, Joseph

@Joseph Chung Yin 

Is this the permission scheme you mean?

jira4.PNG

I edited and republished the WF as suggested - it allows me to move the status, but I will have to check back with my colleague as I am hesitant to give up admin status to test. 

How can I be sure that the issue type is utilizing the WF that I have?

Thank you!

@Clam -

Yes on the permission scheme.  You will need to check the permission scheme used by the TSM project setup.

For the WF check - Follow the steps below: 

1) Go to the TSM project >> Project Settings

2) In the Project Settings UI, select Workflows option on the left nav pane to see all the WFs used within the project.

Example - 

2022-01-13_19-57-01.png

3) Identify the issue type associated with TSM-21 issue in question, and determine which WF it is using and compare it with the WF image that you provided in your ask.

Lastly, I don't quite understand your statement of "I am hesitant to give up admin status to test".  Why you have to give up the admin status if your team member (who cannot execute the transition) is also the admin.  Is he/she the project admin and assigned with the proper roles in the TSM project?.  

If he/she is setup properly, then he/she should be able to execute the transition too.

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph

Like Clam likes this

@Joseph Chung Yin 

I was able to navigate to the permissions scheme and was able to access the TSM permissions scheme, I see that Service Project Agent and Move Issues currently allow all users access permissions.

I see that TSM is currently a task.

jira5.PNG

I'm hesitant to give up admin status right now as it's outside of business hours so I wouldn't be able to get access again until tomorrow.

I included a copy of the workflow in text if it helps any - I appreciate the help!

jira6.PNG

@Clam -

Great.  Now you just need to make sure that the person who is having the problem is associated with the appropriate roles that is called out in TSM permission scheme.

Also, ask the same person if he/she can access the issue directly in the project UI and try to move the issue to IN PROGRESS.  If this works but the KANBAN board is not, then it can be a problem with the KANBAN board.

Lastly, the WF that you published for TSM project is the same one you displayed in your reply?  A side question - You know that for KANBAN/SCRUM boards are for Jira Software projects and not for JSM ServiceDesk projects by default right?

Again, let me know of your testing result with the person who is having the problem tomorrow.

Good luck.

Best, Joseph

@Clam -

For the WF, you need to put it in the Edit mode to verify the transitions have no issues.  I assume you did that already.  Example below once you are seeing the WF used in the edit mode.

2022-01-13_20-46-26.png

2022-01-13_20-46-40.png

If not, you need to do so - checking if there are any Conditions/Validations/Post-Functions that may present problems when moving issue from OPEN into IN PROGRESS transition.

Best, Joseph

Like Clam likes this

Thanks @Joseph Chung Yin !

I was able to meet with the individual having difficulties moving issues and they note they still cannot move issues and this error is shown when trying to move via the UI in the issue which is weird because they should have the same permissions as me at this point. 

MicrosoftTeams-image (5).png

-----

I wasn't able to locate the transition screen you screenshotted to above, but I found the below image from examining properties on pending approval. Could these properties be what is causing these errors?  Thanks

jira7.PNG

Update:

I was able to navigate to the transition screen you displayed earlier - I couldn't find any triggers or conditions that would conflict and I think the post-functions are from default JIRA.

jira9.PNGjira8.PNG

I changed our roles to be symmetrical and the problem is still present - could there be an error or permission that exists that allows only me to transition issues between statuses?

@Clam -

1) Which transition is not working?  I though it was OPEN to IN PROGRESS transition.

2) What project role(s) that you have assigned to yourself and your team members.  Does the team member have a JSM agent license?

Best, Joseph

Thanks @Joseph Chung Yin 

1. The team member is having issues moving an issue from any status to any other status

2. I've assigned them Administrator/Creative/Service Desk Team

I included a screenshot of the user management view details here.

-----

jira10.PNG

I think I might have discovered something @Joseph Chung Yin 

I notice that on the first error, it won't let the issue be moved to "In Progress" which is different from the workflow than the "Progress" status. I believe the In Progress status is a Jira default -

Is there a way to combine these or replace with the Jira default so it will function?

Note that the current workflow should be 1.13.22 Copy of TSM and it is associated to "Progress" but not "In Progress"

Thank you!!!

jira13.PNGjira12.PNGjira11.PNG

@Clam -

You need to find out which WF is currently being used by your TSM project for the Task issue type.  The "Progress" is fine.  Note based on your original image that you provided, the transition name is "In Progress", the actual status is "Progress".  This is not the issue of your problem.

The transition can be named to anything.  Once again, identify which WF is being used in your TSM project.

Best, Joseph

Hi @Joseph Chung Yin 

I navigated to the workflows part of this project, this is currently the workflow being used for the TSM project. This means that "1.13.22 Copy of TSM: Jira Service Management Workflow 2" is the active workflow, right? 

jira14.PNG

Yes.  You are correct.

Best, Joseph

And the task issue type is associated to the active workflow on this screen right?

jira15.PNG

Is there anything else I can check that might resolve this?

Thanks!

Correct.  

For the team member who is having the problem, what is the project role assignment for the TSM project?

Best, Joseph

Feel free to setup a meeting (Zoom etc) to discuss further.

Best, Joseph

@Clam -

I am willing to assist you further.  Just arrange a meeting, so you can share the screen with me to troubleshoot.  It have to do with either the WF or project permission setup.

Best, Joseph

@Clam ,

Does the user have a Jira Software license or just a JSM license? I read somewhere that a Jira Software license is needed to use the functionality of boards. I will have to look in the documentation to see if I can find a link to this information.

Maura

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Service Management

JSM Jira Automation: How to Send SLA Breached Notifications

Hi Everyone, In   this tutorial,  we will show you how you can monitor an SLA, and send notifications before or after the SLA has been breached.   SLA Threshold Trigger The SLA t...

676 views 5 12
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you