Updating a field in one ticket updates a different field in another

Georgia Beckers June 28, 2022

Hi!

So I'm in a bit of a pickle, I've tried every type of automation I can think of. Does anyone know if it's possible, or have any other suggestions/methods on how to get a custom field to update in one ticket, based on filling in a custom field on another ticket?

My example here is that I want to assign a laptop to a user 'Harry Potter' the User is a CI, and the Laptop is also a separate CI

If I assign the serial number into Harry's CI, I want this to push to the relevant Laptop CI and update the 'Device Allocated To' field so that everything in kept up to date in both tickets without the need to individually update both.

I'm OK with JIRA automation - but not very good with Smart Values yet so really need some help!

Thanks!

Example.png

1 answer

0 votes
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 29, 2022

Hi @Georgia Beckers and welcome to the community!

Assuming your Device Allocated To field is a user picker and that your "Harry Potter" ticket already exists, you would do something like this:

• TRIGGER: Field Value Changed Device Allocated To
  • BRANCH on JQL
    • Summary ~ "{{issue.Device Allocated To.displayName}}
    • ACTION: Edit Issue Laptop Serial Number
      • {{triggerIssue.Serial Number}}

Ideally, you'll have a better point of reference than the summary, but based upon what you shared, that was the only thing I saw.

Georgia Beckers June 29, 2022

Thanks Mark! I'll give that a go!

Georgia Beckers July 7, 2022

Hi Mark, gave this a go but JQL doesn't recognise Smart Values? 
Another other suggestions to go about this?

Cheers

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 8, 2022

Hi Georgia - Hmm... I use smart values in my automation JQL all the time.  Can you share a screen shot of the audit log last execution?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events