Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update User Profile via Rest API - Final Words?

Dylan Pokun November 20, 2020

Hi,

I can't seem to find a satisfactory answer: is it possible to update a user's profile with a Rest API call?

I feel like these should have worked: https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/admin/user-management/rest/api-group-users/

However, I keep getting a "forbidden.insufficientScope" / "Insufficient scope for this action" in Postman, even with the "GET Profile" request.

I'm the site admin and the user was created by API, in a Directory that I manage with a domain that I manage on the site. What could be wrong?

Can anyone even just "get" a user's profile with a Rest API call on his instance?

Thank you all in advance,

Best regards,

Dylan

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Andrew Marshall January 4, 2021

The bug for this issue has been commented on with a fix that has been deployed. All newly-created API keys should function as expected. I tested this out in my environment and it worked for me.

1 vote
Andrew Marshall December 15, 2020

I'm running into the same issue. The API key I created works for getting a list of users at the organization level, but trying to manage individual users with the same key returns a 403 with a "forbidden.insufficientScope" error, with one of the "acceptableScoes" being "manage:org". You'd think that if I can see data about my org already that this scope would be granted.

Lumos Yoshikoshi December 18, 2020

we have the same exact problem! However up until a few days ago per-user operations were working with the same API keys. Were you able to resolve this?

Andrew Marshall December 18, 2020

I opened a ticket with support, and they confirmed today that either 1) docs are incorrect, or 2) something isn't working right internally. They are investigating in detail, and I am awaiting a response.

Like Joe Jadamec likes this
Lumos Yoshikoshi December 18, 2020

Thanks for the quick response Andrew and for opening a support ticket. Would love it if you could keep the forum updated about the status of this issue! Thanks again.

Joe Jadamec December 22, 2020
I have the same problem trying any operation besides get users.  Response is always

{
"context": {
"acceptableScopes": [
"manage:org",
"manage:me:DUMMYSCOPE"
],
"message": "Insufficient scope for this action"
},
"errorDetail": {
"acceptableScopes": [
"manage:org",
"manage:me:DUMMYSCOPE"
],
"message": "Insufficient scope for this action"
},
"errorKey": "forbidden.insufficient-scope",
"key": "forbidden.insufficientScope"
}

Like Andrew Marshall likes this
Albus Dumbledore December 29, 2020

To bump this thread, I am still experiencing this behavior:

{'key': 'forbidden.insufficientScope', 'context': {'message': 'Insufficient scope for this action', 'acceptableScopes': ['manage:org', 'manage:me:DUMMYSCOPE']}, 'errorKey': 'forbidden.insufficient-scope', 'errorDetail': {'message': 'Insufficient scope for this action', 'acceptableScopes': ['manage:org', 'manage:me:DUMMYSCOPE']}}

This happens with any endpoint other than list users.

Alexander Kolodziej January 3, 2021

same here...

Andrew Marshall January 4, 2021

Atlassian Support sent me this ticket for tracking and stated that they are working an internal ticket as well to fix the problem: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/ID-7654

Please watch and report the ticket to help push Atlassian to fix the issue more quickly.

Like Alexander Kolodziej likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events