Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to add Shared Mailbox as custom email channel for project

Shruti Sharma January 6, 2021

Hi,

I want to add a custom email account for my project. This account is an Exchange Shared Mailbox account without any password. When I click on Microsoft icon for adding the account it is redirecting me to Microsoft login page and shows the message - "Need admin approval". I then tried using Other icon which requires entering a password and the shared mailbox doesn't have a password.

Can someone please help me with this issue.

Thanks,

Shruti Sharma

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 6, 2021

There are a number of posts on unsuccessful attempts to use Shared Mailboxes. I have yet to see an example of this being successful. 

Shruti Sharma January 6, 2021

Thanks Jack,

I also tried adding MS Office 365 service account and it doesn't work either.

I get the below error - JIRA_MSEmailError.JPG

Can you please tell me if you know what could be wrong here.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 7, 2021

My understanding is that because "service accounts" (and certainly "shared mailboxes") are not people, they have different authentication and usage. 

Because of that, it's inappropriate to try to authenticate against them as if they were people and hence MS doesn't support it.

You can, of course, set up service accounts as a "dummy user" instead of a service account (and then configure them to look like a service account and behave in mostly the same way), I suspect that's your only option here.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events