Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to remove licenses for non-agents

Jim Stewart December 19, 2020

If I look at jira-servicedesk-users, I see 24 people who represent exactly the people we want to be agents. However, if I go into Product Access, it tells me I am using 40 licenses. 

If I look at those other people, to a person, they have org or site admin or are trusted. (Yes, we have too many of those and will be cleaning it up.) So, safe to assume that admins MUST consume a license for each product even though they are system-wide?

Side note - even though it says 40/100, a count shows there are actually 43. (When I count the list that shows up under 40/100.) ????

JSM2.jpg

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 19, 2020

Hi again @Jim Stewart ,

It is best to only have the default access group and the site admins listed here. There is no need to have the administrators and jira-administrators groups listed here. You should be able to remove those groups with the Remove group option under the ... options button behind those groups.

As an example, setting up product access like this reduces redundancy and makes it easier to understand / manage where your users are coming from.

Screenshot 2020-12-19 at 15.44.37.png

The site admins group should ideally have a license indeed as they need product access for administrating the product. If you manage to reduce that number (as you intend to do), that number of licenses consumed will reduce automatically.

Without seeing the data, it's hard to explain why exactly the user count you see is higher than the number of licenses granted. It could very well be due to the fact that some of those users are in one of the user groups having access, while their account doesn't / does no longer have site access. In order to consume a license, a user account must have both site and product access.

Yeah, who knows. Frankly I came into this situation cold and whoever set it up did it haphazardly and with less understanding than I came in with (and I had taken Jira admin at least). So, now that we're actually going to use JSM we're starting to understand it better and preparing to scale. Until I cleaned it up the other day, we had 100 users, 60 of whom had no business being on there. Anyway, thanks, I'll check this out 

Ok, so I did that and yes I still see 40 as there are just too many admins. (Another manifestation of the thought that went into the setup.). For the record, do you have anything that clearly explains Trusted? Not even sure why we're using it.  Seems like some kind of junior admin. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events