Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Struggling with too many notifications

teusner March 17, 2021

We are getting way too many notifications. For example:

as an automation we use a simple rule, that sets the status to "assigned" whenever we have ticket without an assignee. As a result we always et two notifications:

1. a notification that person A assigned me task 123
  2. a notification from JIRA Automation, that the status has been changed.

we dont need the notification from the Automations. But I am unable to disable them.

I also added an "edit issue" element to change the priority as was mentioned here

Solved: Disable emails from Automation for JIRA (atlassian.com)

without any obvius change.

I even created a new notification scheme where I deactivated almost everything.

Please help us.

1 answer

1 vote
Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 17, 2021

Hi @teusner 

Could you provide a screenshot of one of the rules so I can see the settings please?

Thanks, Liam

teusner March 17, 2021

It's in german but I will try to translate it:

image.png

First: when the status was assigned to someone

Second: If the status equals "New"

Third: then change the status to "assigned" 

Fourth: and change the priority to "low"

In step 4 I deactivated the Checkbox for sending an email:

image.png

hope that helps

Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 17, 2021

And are you getting email notifications or just notifications when you click your notification bell?

teusner March 18, 2021

we are getting both.

teusner March 18, 2021

All I want is a simple way to disable email notifications that are triggered by tha automations.

teusner March 19, 2021

First I get a mail notification from the user, that assigned me a task

image.png

Shortly after that I get a message from Automation, that the status has changed:

image.png

that second mail is unneccessary and I want to disable it.

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 23, 2021

The mails originate from the notification scheme nevertheless, I'm afraid.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/configure-notification-schemes/

You would need to adapt the "Issue Updated" event. But for the first one you could check "Issue assigned".

teusner March 23, 2021

Hi daniel,

I already created a separate notification scheme, where I dropped almost evereything:

image.png

And still we are getting tons of notifications for everything I disabled. That is quite unsatisfactory for an otherwise great tool.

Yours David

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 23, 2021

For Issue Assigned it should go okay - but for Issue Updated (the screenshot where you showed Automation is updating the issue) you should not really have received an email.

Have you already double checked the notification scheme you showed above "Servicedesk" is assigned to your project (but not any other one, probably mistakenly during tests or so)?

In other words: from my understanding and unless something fundamental should have changed nobody should receive mails when the status is going from Neu to Zugewiesen using your configuration in Notification Scheme.

teusner March 23, 2021

The notification scheme is set for our Servicedesk Project.

Additionally I made sure, that there is no notification scheme linked to the Issue Types.

teusner March 23, 2021

I restricted the scheme even further:

image.png

This seems to help. It would also help, if there were some explanation, when the notifications are triggered. For example, what is a "generic event"?

Addiotionally it seems to make a difference who is making the changs to the ticket. 

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 23, 2021

The event that is triggered is defined as per workflow post function.

Who is making the changes is not relevant but in your profile you can define if you want to be notified about your own changes. It should not apply to your scenario  from my point of view.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events