Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Site-admin cannot view processing log

SP Support January 9, 2021

Can anyone help with missing global setting?

- The reference is: Projects / "Service Desk / Project Settings / Channels / Email / Connected Email / View Logs

- The organizer / site-admin cannot view Service Desk Channel Email processing logs.

- Group settings remain at default and have not been altered.

- Site admin should, by default, have superadmin / master control and be able to access all things admin and user across all products and projects.

- No other global settings appear under System / Security / Project Roles

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 9, 2021

@SP Support - is the issue that you have a site-admin that can't access the admin page for Jira Service Management email logs?

example: https://<your-company>.atlassian.net/secure/admin/SDMailInfo.jspa

OR the project-specific specific page for email logs?

example: https://<your-company>.atlassian.net/jira/servicedesk/projects/<service desk project ID>/settings/email

What happens when they try to access either of those pages?

By default members of the site-admins group should be permitted to see those pages via your Jira site's Global Permissions page.

@Dave Liao, wow what a fast response! Thanks!

• On the former link, under the Email Addresses section, select "View Log":
    •  Connectivity Log: displays
    •  Processing Log: generates error: "You do not have permission to view this log. If the log is associated with a project, only the project admin can view it. If its not associated with a project, only the JIRA admin can view the log."
  • On the latter link, more precisely: https://<your-company>.atlassian.net/jira/servicedesk/projects/<service desk project ID>/settings/channels/email
    • then following the same selections to arrive at the same result.

On your last point regarding default settings, I agree, have cross-checked, and it appears to be appropriately structured for site-admin to access. 

-- As an aside, I do find it odd that when cross-checking the above's group permissions, Atlassian's layout for the uneditable site-admin default layout is illustrated by products being shown as:

• Group access
    • Jira administration
      • Admin access
    • Jira Software
      • User access
    • Jira Service Management
      • User access
    • Confluence
      • Admin & user access

and not:

• Group access
    • Jira Software
      • Admin & User access
    • Jira Service Management
      • Admin & User access
    • Confluence
      • Admin & user access

Or perhaps integrating Service Management as a customer-facing sub template / product under the Jira header, but I am still learning, as we continue to further integrate additional Atlassian products

Like Dave Liao likes this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 9, 2021

Ha, my response was fast because I happened to be browsing Community when you posted. 😉

Anyway, ensure that the person trying to view those logs is also a project-level admin. Generally, this means adding them to the project (under People) and assigning them the "Administrators" role.

Like SP Support likes this

That solved the issue.

Also, it is good to know that site-admin does not have project admin by default and project settings have unique internal access controls located:

https://<your-company>.atlassian.net/jira/servicedesk/projects/<service desk project ID>/settings/access

I will dig into this further to better understand.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events