Sharing portal links and access rights

Bernard Clabots July 26, 2021

I have both Jira SW and JSD.

Most of the time, if people are not member of the team handling the JSD tickets, when I give them a ticket ID, they come back to me because they can't find or can't access it.

The ones who can't find it usually tried the search in the JSW view and that will not return any result as they are no agents. The others usually tried to edit a "browse" link and were returned a lock page with the message "you don't have access to this issue".

They are registered as customers on the JSD project, not as agents. Wouldn't it be great that when looking for a JSD ticket you get presented a portal link rather than a browse link? By default, as an agent, the portal view allows to switch to the agent view, but the reverse is not true.

Either the Jira search should detect that the ticket is only accessible in the portal for that user and transparently switch to that view, or else the default for tickets should be a portal link... 

It is even worse with the Slack plug in. I intentionally paste the portal link, but the plugin adds a summary that is also a link. But instead of pointing to the portal, the link of the summary points to the agent view!!! so in almost 100% of the cases people tell me they can't access!

4 comments

Bernard Clabots July 26, 2021

My JSW users are developers and use a JSD project with the same login, but as customers of my infrastructure.

Claudio Gonzalez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 29, 2021

For our organization we have the same situation. But:

1. we use https://<instance-jira>/browse/<ticketJSM> (only to users with JSW license)

2. we add user how "Shared with" from the portal site

Screen Shot 2021-07-29 at 04.19.33.png

to users without license JSW.

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 30, 2021

Hi @Bernard Clabots

testing on my Jira Cloud instance I was recently able to reproduce what you are observing.
However, I felt it got much better to handle as soon as I put the users (those that normally use Jira Software) per Permission Scheme and then via a role in the Jira Service Management project to one that allows for browsing (Browse Permission).

Then they are able to browse a Jira Service Management project - however, without any customer facing features where they would need a Jira Service Management license assigned to them.
As soon as I did it "non-agents", in other words the users of Jira Software >in< the Jira Service Management project, could also start using the search. Also the user interface is the familiar one they know already.

Does this help in your scenario, can you compare with what you have configured perhaps?

Cheers,
Daniel

Like Bernard Clabots likes this
Bernard Clabots January 21, 2022

HI,

I configured it that way for the moment.

Thx

Isabelle Burk January 31, 2024

Hi together :)
I recently am searching for something similar.
What we are currently observe is: A user that is Service & Software user sends a link from his browser (*domain*/browse/*ticket*) to another user who has only rights to service management. This user can't open the ticket with error message saying it took too long to synchronize.

Could you tell me, if Jira is able to relocate this link to the ticket, because from my point of view, even if the receiver of the link has another view on the ticket he should be able to see it and not get an error message?

As I'm quite new as JIRA admin, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks in advance! 

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events