Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing customer accounts in JSM

Magdalena Zacharczuk June 8, 2021

Hello,

I have the following use case: a support team would like to handle requests from their external client via their internal JSM instance. The client would like to create a single customer account that the client's team would be sharing instead of creating dedicated customer accounts for each team member. I was looking for information on whether such activity would be compliant with the JSM account management policy, but didn't find a definitive answer. Please advise.

Cheers,
Magdalena

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 12, 2021

Depending on how large the client's team is this looks like a challenge to change the password for the role account. They would have to do it as soon a team member quits.
I agree with Jack - it would be better, not just for security reasons, to use the functionality like it was designed with JSM.

There is some further reading available with Atlassian, just in case you want to have a look:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/confeval/jira-service-management-evaluator-resources/jira-service-management-managing-customers-in-jira-service-management

Magdalena Zacharczuk June 14, 2021

Thanks @Daniel Ebers! Yes, I agree that such an approach could cause security issues. That settles it :). Cheers!

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 8, 2021

I would not approach that problem in that manner. If you share a single user account then you really don’t know who open the ticket. JSM is designed such that you can create an organization and add all the individual customers which are free and allow them to open their own tickets. In this manner you can track or accurately the customers issues.

Magdalena Zacharczuk June 8, 2021

Good point @Jack Brickey, thanks! Still :) do you know whether customer account sharing is even allowed?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 8, 2021

Well sure you could create a single user and tell everybody what the user ID and password is there’s nothing to prevent you from doing that. The Question is who will receive the notifications sent by Jira?

Magdalena Zacharczuk June 9, 2021

Fair enough. Once again, thanks for your insight!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events