Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Services Dependency Tree

Max DiOrio May 25, 2021

Services seem really useful, especially for change management and outages.

Unless I'm completely missing it, I can't see a way of visualizing a full dependency tree.

If I click on my top tier dependency (public web sites), I'd like to see everything downstream.  And if I click on a service at the bottom, I'd like to see everything upstream that a change there could potentially impact.

When creating a change ticket, I want that ticket to show the same tree so that a developer can be aware of what services their change can potentially impact and make it a talking point during a CAB meeting.

Am I just missing it - or is Jira Service Management missing it?

Thanks.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 25, 2021

Hi @Max DiOrio,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

This can be done, but you would need be on the JSM Premium plan, that gives you access to Insight which allows you to get a visual view of the dependencies between your services. 

Max DiOrio May 25, 2021

Well that's not what I was hoping to hear.  It's such a basic feature of ITSM/CAB.  Insight is well over and above what would be needed.  Many CAB's don't need to track down to specific server, only logical concepts/constructs.

For example:

Customer Facing Sites depends on Website.com

website.com depends on WAF

website.com depends on database

website.com depends on microservice

microservice depends on GKE K8S

None of these would need the power/flexibility of Insight.  Only a simple report showing the dependency tree.  This should be a basic feature.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events