Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service desk: Multiple tickets for the same issue opened

Muthu Sampath January 21, 2021

Our team is using Jira Service Desk to keep track of customer support issues. We frequently receive multiple tickets of the same email. Every time someone responds to the email, a new issue is opened.

Is there a way to avoid creating new tickets or automatically combine issues with the same title when they come in? 

2 answers

0 votes
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 22, 2021

Hey @Muthu Sampath ,

When you do this through email normally when you have the issue key in the Subject, Jira should add the reply as a comment to your existing issue.

Just having it on the same title/subject of the mail doesn't work. it relies on the issue key being found in the subject of the mail.

Also double check what mail handler you are using as you can specify there what happens with an email when it comes in.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-management-cloud/docs/receive-requests-from-an-email-address/

0 votes
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 21, 2021

@Muthu Sampath 

Are you seeing multiple issues created when someone cc other on an issue when they submit it via email and then they respond to the original issue and not the response from the service desk?   Can you provide some additional information?

Muthu Sampath January 22, 2021

@Brant Schroeder Yes. The customer responds to the email with our support alias on cc. There are other members cc'ed on the original email as well. So every email response generates a new support ticket even though the subject of the email is the same.

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 22, 2021

So they are emailing an alias.   As log as the alias exists so will this issue.   I would suggest setting up a custom email address on your service desk.  Once you get that done I would suggest directing individuals to use that address and retire the aliases.  Whenever we have used aliases in the past they have never worked well.  I would also encourage you to use the portal for issue submission.  I have found that a well built portal is the best way to collect the proper information upfront.  

Like Paiton Swaim likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events