Service Desk ticket comments without reporter notification

Peter Toth July 27, 2017

Hello,

we have configured the customer notification for our service desk project and everything seems to be fine apart from one functionality.

Ocasionally we want to send email and put our servicedesk email address in the 'CC' field in order to leave a comment in the ticket.

Now that part working fine, however Jira will forward that comment to the 'Reporter' to which we don't want.

We will write a comment from within the ticket and hit the 'share with customer' if there is a note for the 'Reporter' as well that can be seen.

We have tried to configure the project on several different ways but this still keep happening.

Is there a way to set it up according to our wish? If so how?

Thank you very much!

4 comments

Boris Berenberg - Atlas Authority
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 27, 2017

Use a JIRA mail processor instead of a Service Desk one to handle the input. It will require that you have a different email to CC than your standard JSD issue creation email.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 27, 2017

@Peter Toth,

this is not an answer but an exploration to better understand the current and desired behavior.

If I am reading your scenario correctly the following is true:

• the reporter is always the customer. I base this upon your statement "... if there is a note for the 'Reporter...".
  • 'internally' your team is using email to add comments but this results in a public comment whereas you want those to be internal comments

It seems like what is happening is that comments made by email are always public and you want them to be internal by default?

I haven't spent any time w/ email response behaviors as I have not had the need. However, i'm intrigued if the default behavior is public. This would seem to be an undesirable limitation.

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 27, 2017

It's because the team has agent licenses. If they were collaborators the comments would be internal. This allows agents to work on their tickets in JSD out of their mailbox if they so choose.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 27, 2017

Thanks for that @Boris Berenberg - Atlas Authority.

To be clear are you saying that as an agent any email reply is considered public? IMO, that would be undesirable behavior. If an agent desires to work out of their mailbox they would need to be able to specify whether the comment was internal or external just as they can from w/in the app.

I was trying to find info in the documentation on this. If you know where I would be interested in consumming. 

Rising Star
Rising Star
July 27, 2017

It's just something I know from experience, no docs afaik. I personally disagree on the undesirable behavior opinion. But that's the reality of it, in the end, it is just our opinions. One person prefers one, and another likes the other. 

As to agents abilityt to set this somehow using a special hashtag or something, sounds like a great feature request :D

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 27, 2017

I found JSDCLOUD-1961 that is a good read on this. The first comment-second bullet from @oli seems to capture this discussion, i.e. agent email response = public. @Peter Toth, you may wish to add a suggestion for the ability to declare an email response from agent as public/internal if desired.

Rising Star
Rising Star
July 27, 2017

The answer I posted above still stands as the workaround, assuming our diagnosis is correct.

Peter Toth July 28, 2017

First of all thank you very much for your reply guys!

Any workaround welcome as long as it's working reliably.

In the first place I wanted to configure the Jira mail handler to the Service Desk part as well but it's not designed that way so it will never work properly. I have even got a confirmation about that from a helpdesk.

Is that what you mean by 'mail processor'?

Can you be a little bit more specific please?

Thank you very much!

Rising Star
Rising Star
July 28, 2017

JIRA's mail handler service will work fine as long as it is only processing comments from collaborators. You just have to seperate the two handles to point at two email addresses. And use each one for the task you're trying to accomplish.

If you need someone to help, let me know.

Peter Toth August 8, 2017

Hi!

Thank you to explaining it and offering further help!

So I added a new email handler which: "Add a comment with the entire email body"

It does the job, but then I (or whoever is in the 'Reporter' field) still getting an email back with the comment which should be kept in JSD and not mailing out to customer. (to Reporter)

Let me explain more about the current setup:

- We don't want to allow people to sign in to Jira, we don't want Jira to send out links to register or anything apart form the JSD emails about "Dear Customer, we've got your email..."

- So sign up is disabled, our service desk email box opened in our outlooks, and server side forwarding rule has set to forward every incoming mail to the internal email address (projectkey@ourjiraaccount.athlassian.net) of our JSD project to auto-generating tickets.

- If we detect a user that is not member yet, we just add him/her manually in order to send out the "Dear Customer, we've got your email..." and other emails.

What do I do wrong?

Thank you!

Rising Star
Rising Star
August 8, 2017

When the comment is being added in JIRA, do you see a lozenge on the comment that say "Internal"?

Peter Toth August 9, 2017

No. So apparently the system consider that as a public comment.

Rising Star
Rising Star
August 9, 2017

Can you confirm that the new mail handler is looking at a completely different inbox right?

Peter Toth August 10, 2017

I cannot confirm that.

The new mailbox handler connect to our servicedesk inbox via pop and try to pass the comments to the existing ticket.

Why would i need to pass an alternative emailbox to the email handler?

Thank you!

Rising Star
Rising Star
August 10, 2017

Because if they are both pointing at the same mailbox, how do you know which mail handler is processing the inbound email? See the comments in my discussin with Jack above.

Peter Toth September 18, 2017

Hi,

sorry our small team had another priorities but we are still keen to use the offered workaround.

So Jira by default comes with 1 email handler as far as i know. (Or maybe somebody has already changed something in here.)handler.jpg

handler.jpg

Peter Toth November 15, 2017

Hello,

can somebody provide a workaround please?

Or explain again the one that was already offered? :)

Thank you!

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events