Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Send an email to individual users of list of only their issues

Lauren Martin February 15, 2022

I want to send one email to each individual user of a list of only their existing issues.

I have tried using lookupissues to then send an email of each list to each assignee - this works when I manually enter an email address but when I input "Assignee" in the Send Email: To: option it comes up with errors. 

Is there any way I can do this?

**Examples with step by step images would be extremely helpful!! (I'm new to using jira)

4 answers

3 votes
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 15, 2022

Hi @Lauren Martin

Use this post that explains how lookup issues is being used to send a list of issues: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-Integrations/Jira-Automation-Video-Tutorial-on-how-to-send-customized-emails/ba-p/1861508

Look at rule #2.

Regards

Hi Fabian, 

This works! But when I try to send the email to "Assignee" so that the list of issues is only those belonging to the assignee, it returns an error. Screenshot 2022-02-16 132200.png

Error:

Screenshot 2022-02-16 132108.png

1 vote
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 15, 2022

@Lauren Martin 

With JQL Function currentUser() build a filter subscription and schedule the mail to a group to send the updates

May I know what you are trying to do with lookupissues, please include the screenshot and requirement. With Automation it's possible to send the mail to respective users on their issues

Thanks

Hi Pramodh,

I am trying to use lookupissues to send to each respective assignee a list of only their issues with a "cancelled" status 

Screenshot 2022-02-16 132200.png

But so far it comes up with this error:

Screenshot 2022-02-16 132108.png

Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 17, 2022

Is possible that it's not picking the correct assignees since it should be the lookup reference value for the assignee.

I think the best thing to do is have it sentd the tickets individually which is explained in rule 1 or use pradmoth suggestion of using notifications on the filter.

0 votes
Jess Sherman October 14, 2022

Would this include subtasks? Or would that be a different lookup function?

0 votes
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 15, 2022

@Lauren Martin -

Welcome to the community.  For your error regarding to "Assignee", here are the few things that you should check in my opinion -

1) You have setup the rule to execute every 5 mins and use the JQL for "Cancelled" status issues.  I would add an condition to only proceed with the email send process only when JQL returns a positive issue count.  This will prevent the event where there are no issues found based on your JQL.

2) You should also check the issue assignee to ensure he/she is still active/valid in your JSM project.  This is because that system will not be able to send email to an inactive/not valid user account successfully.

Hope this also helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Hi Joseph, 

Thanks for your response.

I have confirmed each assignee is still active and added an "if matches" condition - but it still returns an error

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 16, 2022

@Lauren Martin - 

Can you post your automation rule (latest version)?  So, we can review it.

Best, Joseph

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events