cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Send Slackbot message

Douglas Souza November 9, 2021

Hi folks, 

I'm going to make automation and I would like to know, if: 

Is it possible send slackbot message to issue owner? 

Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 12.07.04.png

I know that we can send message to Salck channel, but I would like to send DM. 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Tessa Tuteleers
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 9, 2021

Hi @Douglas Souza , 

the answer is in your screenshot already. 

Messages are sent to the default channel specified in your webhook, but you can override this by specifying another channel with '#other-channel', or a specific user with '@userID'. Slack no longer supports @usernames, you can find out more about this in our docs, including how to find member IDs.

You need the slack user ID of a user to send a DM on slack.
Note that this isn't the same as someone's display name. You can find their member ID by opening someone's profile in Slack and selecting More () > Copy member ID.

As Slack and Jira users are not connected, they can't know these IDs from the Jira user (reporter) to do this dynamically. 

Tessa

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 9, 2021

There is a script you can run to add a Slack UID to a user's properties in Jira (assuming both Slack and Jira use the same email address. Details here: Mention someone directly in Slack via Jira Automation 

Like Tessa Tuteleers likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events