Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SLA creation - jql error

Ali June 25, 2021

Hi, I'm trying to create a time goal SLA and when I type in the JQL (issue type, incident AND Severity type =) and I choose any severity type from the preset drop down menu and hit save, I keep getting this error. 'The option 'sev-2' for field 'severity' does not exist.  Even though it does exist and I chose it from the drop down..

Any idea what is going wrong?

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 25, 2021

So severity is a custom field I am assuming. Is it possible that you have two severity fields and maybe one of the fields has that option and the other does not?

what I suggest is this, JQL advanced search window and include the specific project you’re dealing with here and select the sev-2 option. What are the results?

Ali June 25, 2021

Hi, Yes I believe it was a custom field I created. Although I checked the field list and there is only 1 'Severity' field and it has the description and preset dropdown I created.  Also it must be selecting the correct Severity field as the JQL provided the drop correct drop down options.

What do you mean by JQL advanced search window? I'm quite new to JIRA..

Thanks!!

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 25, 2021

Click on the Quick search bar and then select advanced search. Enter a JQL something like this

project = xxx and severity = sev-2

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 25, 2021

Please also share your SLA details including the JQL that you were using

Ali June 27, 2021

In advanced search I typed this: project = "Incident Mgmt TEST AW" and "Severity[Dropdown]"

When I started typing 'sever..' the option [dropdown] popped up, I couldn't select sev-2 or any other of the severity rankings, only the [dropdown] was available. Have I not set up the custom field options correctly?

When I selected [dropdown] and hit search this is the error: Error in the JQL Query: Expecting operator before the end of the query. The valid operators are '=', '!=', '<', '>', '<=', '>=', '~', '!~', 'IN', 'NOT IN', 'IS' and 'IS NOT'

Ali June 27, 2021

When in project settings > SLA > Time to resolution, I can use the following JQL to set for when 'Priority = medium' (another custom field I created or edited) and it works. 

But when I try it on severity it doesn't work ("Ticket category" = Incidents AND Severity = Sev-2). The error message is 'The option 'Sev-2' for field 'Severity' does not exist. (even though it came from the dropdown while creating the JQL).

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 27, 2021

Assuming you are a jira admin do the following…

1. click on cog icon in the upper right corner
  2. select issues
  3. Select custom fields
  4. Locate your severity field. Please ensure that there is only a single severity Field,
  5. Click on the… In the far right for that field and select context and values
  6. In the following screen what values do you see for the severity Field,
  7. select custom fields
  8. Locate your severity field. Please ensure that there is only a single severity Field,
  9. Click on the… In the far right for that field and select context and values
  10. In the following screen what values do you see for the severity Field,?

If you don’t see any values then you need to add them there and save it

Ali June 28, 2021

Pt 4: there is only 1 field for severity

Pt 6: I see all the field options I created (severity 1 - 4)

Pt 8: only 1 field for severity

Pt10: I see the same options as pt 6, all looks normal.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 28, 2021

At this point I need to see some screenshots.  Would you mind sharing a screenshot of your field values from the screen outlined by my points above. Also share a screenshot of your JQL where you are trying to select the severity in the SLA.

Ali June 28, 2021

I've just found something interesting. When I go Project Settings - Fields and scroll down to Severity, it says ' No Screens'

image.png

But when I go into Custom fields - Severity - I can see it's attached to 18 screens.

Ali June 28, 2021

Screenshot of the context and default value screen

image.png

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 28, 2021

Edit the fields and add severity to the screens associated with your project.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 28, 2021

I also note that the values are not in the form of “sev-2” here as originally indicated in your post.

Ali July 13, 2021

I updated the drop down options for Severity from Sev-1 etc to Severity 1, as you see in the image above to see if that would help but it returned the same error.

Raised a bug and did a few screen shares with someone from Atlassian and we couldn't figure out the cause.

I've since deleted the field Severity completely and created a new one, and still having the same error message where I can't create the SLA based on the severity field options.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 13, 2021

Something very strange about that for sure. In fact I have a current JSM project where the team uses “Severity“ rather than priority and it works fine.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events