Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running one rule triggers others?

Jim Stewart November 30, 2020

I spent some time over the weekend fine-tuning and getting a bunch of rules to run. I had a couple left today that I wanted to troubleshoot. One is calling up the wrong form. I ran it this morning again today just to remind myself of exactly what the problem was. When I looked at the audit log, I was puzzled by what it showed. Putting aside the failure of that one rule - which I fully expected - the log shows that all these rules tried to run as well. I can assure you that I only attempted to run that one rule. But the results make it look like all these other rules tried to run as well. Why? If I have to troubleshoot all the possible interactions among rules I will never finish this. Or do they all attempt to run? If so it clutters the hell of the audit log 

Rules.jpg

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 30, 2020

Hi Jim, looks like you are in the Automation trenches here. Unfortunately given the info, I’m not sure how to advise you here, at least definitely. But will try to add some color. So rules run based upon the trigger (obvious) so if you are seeing a lot of issues running then for sure the trigger is occurring. From you image my guess is you have a common trigger, e.g. issue created but most/all exiting due to no condition match. So this seems normal. 

maybe you could provide more info and include the details of your automations. 

0 votes
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 30, 2020

Hi @Jim Stewart ,

As Jack already mentioned it is difficult to say for sure without knowing your rule triggers. If that one trigger changes a field and you other rules are just set on "issue updated" well then it could be.

You can always disable the fact that one rule can trigger another. In your rule defintion you should see a checkbox with that statement:

image.png

Jim Stewart November 30, 2020

Yes, I see.  The audit log is a behind-the-scenes thing. Had I never known of it, I would not have seen this phenomenon. In one way, I'm not sure it matters. Other than cluttering the log, it isn't clear to me that it's affecting the rules which are now working. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events