Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restricting the number of training course participants.

Olga Stepanova July 9, 2020

I'm setting up the service desks. Customers should be able to register for various training courses. The maximum possible number of participants for one course is strictly limited. Could you please tell me if it is possible to set a limit for the number of participants in each course? And if so, how? Please elaborate in detail, I am still a beginner with service desk usage. Thanks in advance.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 14, 2020

Hello @Olga Stepanova

Thank you for reaching out.

Since Jira Service desk does not have a template to manage training courses, I would like to know how you are using Jira to do that. In other words, are you using Issues/tasks to register new requests for the training courses? Also, how are you adding participants to them today?

If you don't have the answers to the questions above and are still thinking of how you can use the Service desk to manage your training courses, you can use the following scenario where the limit of participants per course would be applicable:

1. Instruct your customers to open a new issue for each training courses they want sign-up to, by allowing the anonymous access in your Application as I explained in the question below:
    Is it possible for customers to access the service desk cloud without registering in Jira? 
  2. Then, create multiple request types to identify which course the customer is requesting. E.G: Sales, Design, etc.
    P.S: You must also create request types to clarify questions about the courses. To restrict the number of participants, it will be required that the user only create the issue with the specific request type when signing-up for the course, so ensure your request types have a clear description to differentiate between a question and a sign-up.

Configuring your Service as described above, you can use Jira Automation to properly count the number of requests (Participants) on each course and properly restrict it from your queue. These would be the steps:

1. Create a new Epic issue for each course and add a custom number field to those epics. The number field in those Epics will be incremented every time a new issue is created with the related Request type.
  2. Then, configure an automation rule (Under project settings > Project Automation) to link new issues to Epics, using a condition to identify the request type and link the issue to the correct Epic:
    Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 15.41.25.png
  3. Once it is done, Create another Automation rule to increment the Epic issue number field  when a new child issue is created:
    Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 15.55.00.png

4. Finally, create a new issue to automatically close and remove the new issues from your queue once the increment number of the related Epic has reached its limit (10), optionally sending a comment to the customer explaining that the course has reached the limit number of participants:
    Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 16.05.41.png

P.S: Make sure you have configured the automation of number 4 to be triggered by the automation in number 3 under the Rule details.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Olga Stepanova July 29, 2020

Thank you so much @Petter Gonçalves !

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders