Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restrict customer portal permissions on workflow

Trevor Overstreet April 28, 2022

My client has 200+ users who need to access and submit a form/task using the portal. The workflow we have setup is the task has to be approved or declined by a manager. It's almost as if I need two different portal page views...one for the 200+ submitters who do NOT have access to the workflow scheme (below) and a different view for managers to approve/ decline work and communicate with jira project managers.

Can this be accomplished under customer permissions or assign some type of group permission in the workflow itself so it's only visible to the managers who use the portal page?

Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at 2.45.48 PM.png

Thank you!!

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 28, 2022

@Trevor Overstreet -

You will need to ensure that your approvers all have access your project (assigned them with Service Desk Customer role).  They will have access to the requests via the portal and only them will have the view showing them the Approve/Decline options by default.

Your customers (one who generated the issues) will not have access or even see the Approve/Decline options in the portal by default.

Here are a few links on how to configure Approval in JSM projects for your references -

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-management-cloud/docs/what-are-the-differences-in-classic-and-next-gen-approvals/

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-management-cloud/docs/set-up-approvals/

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Trevor Overstreet April 29, 2022

Thank you so much Joseph! I will test the above and review the links as well. Much appreciated!

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 29, 2022

@Trevor Overstreet -

Excellent.  If my recommendations resolved your ask.  Please click on "Accept Answer" when you have a chance.

Best, Joseph

Hey Joseph, so the Approvers will need access to Jira service management when given service desk customer role? I only want the client to have access to the portal page. Sorry if this is redundant. I'm testing with a generic email and gave the user service desk customer role which seems to have created a jira user which I'd like to avoid

Instead of giving the manager Service Desk Customer Role I assigned the manager to the basic customer role and added this user as an Approver. This keeps the user from having access to Jira and only have Portal access but still gives the approval process for this person.

Am I correct to build out the workflow this way?

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 29, 2022

@Trevor Overstreet -

Approvers can only access the issues via the portal.  Service Desk Customers role provides the portal UI access of your JSM project.  One will need agent/admin right to access the issues in the actual JSM project UI directly.

For approvers, they will need account established access the portal UI.  I am not sure what do you mean by "created a jira user" statement?

Best, Joseph

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 29, 2022

@Trevor Overstreet -

Access to JSM portal UI has no direct association with Jira software license.  I am now confuse with your plan of "assigned the manger to basic customer role"?  What customer role that you are referring to?

Best, Joseph

Trevor Overstreet May 2, 2022

Sorry for the confusion. When I created the user I assigned the user to a User group in addition to Service Desk Customer role. The access is now correct for the user to only have portal access.

Thank you,

Trevor

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 2, 2022

@Trevor Overstreet -

If the user group is not associated with any other role - except for the Service Desk Customer role of your project + the group is not associated with any global permissions assignment, then members of the group will only have access to the portal UI.

Best, Joseph

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events