• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Requirement to allow a participant to reply directly to an external customer

We have 2 persons where one gets a mail from support portal with a link that allows him to reply directly to customers.

Both persons is added to a ticket as participants.

The other person does not get this noticification mail, and there fore no ling.'Trying to reply from jiar only allow him to make an internal note ,

What is the cause for this difference.

Regards

Jørgen  

2 answers

0 votes
Jack Community Leader Sep 10, 2020

Hi @Jørgen Chr Hansen , welcome to the Community. First just to get the terminology right so that we are on the same page...

Request Participants - JSD Customer that is participating in (observing/commenting) on an issue reported by another Customer.

Watcher - JSD user that has direct application access and can see all of the underlying info.

Assignee - JSD agent that is responsible for working the issue to closure.

An Agent can make public or internal comments.

A Watcher (non-agent) can only make internal comments.

A Customer (reporter or request participant) can only make public comments. Customer will only receive notifications for public comments.

with all that said can you characterize your issue and identifying your users and who can't do what?

Jack Community Leader Sep 16, 2020

Hi @Jørgen Chr Hansen sorry for the delay in getting back. Before diving in I wanted to mention to keep replies w/in this answer to ensure the thread remains clean vs. using the "Suggest an Answer" button.

Here is some info you should consider:

• Request participants are customers not Agents. Request participants cannot be assigned an issue and you should not use that field o assign an issue. Use the Assignee field and remember only Agents can be assigned an issue.
  • you mention assigning two colleagues to a ticket. what do you mean when you say "both are assigned to a ticket"? assigned how? what field are they added to?
  • EE doesn't receive notification - likely EE is not in a group/role that receives notifications. please check project settings > notifications
  • if an internal comment is made Request participants will not get notified since they are customers and customers only see public comments
  • consider using Watcher field for internal agents or other non-customers.
  • only Agents can make public comments.

please explain what you mean by participant and try to keep in mind my above role definitions. Internal (non-customer) Jira users w/ Browse permissions should be Watchers not Request Participants. Request Participants should only be customers.

0 votes

Hi Jack

Thanks for the fast reply.!

The answer confirms my idea how it works.

Here is our senario in more details

I'm one of the company Agents, i see an incomming ticket from an external customer.

I evaluate the ticket and find the colleague that can reply to the ticket.

I assign the colleague to the ticket as a participant. And write an internal note asking the participant to reply to on the ticket. I expect that an internal note is send to assigned participants only.

I have 2 colleagues DC and EE they are both assigned to a ticket, not the same ticket.

DC receives a mail from supportportal that has links that allows him to reply directly to the customer with a public note.

EE does not get this mail, often he is not niticed. Sometimes he gets a outlook mail with the top of the ticket inserted and the ticket ID (SP-xxx) in the top as a link that will open our jira system.

EE is listed as a participant in the jira system but he never receives the support portal e-mail and in the jira system he is only allowed to make internal notes.

While DC by using the link in the support portal mail can reply directly.

I'm a little confused about how to assign a participant. I have done i 2 different ways. In the basic view there is a field in the right coloum called participant. if i select the field and type the e-mail abriviation for the colleague the field gets autofilled. There is no real confirmation action (or i have not found it).

The other way is to select more fields at the bottom of the screen then a field called requested paricipant appears. Then i do the same here as with the participant field.

Is there a difference between the 2 ways to assign a participant.

regards

Jørgen

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Service Management

Why upgrade to Jira Service Management Premium?

We often have questions from folks using Jira Service Management about the benefits to using Premium. Check out this video to learn how you can unlock even more value in our Premium plan.  &nb...

241 views 1 6
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you