Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reporters are no longer receiving emails when the 'Reply to customer' option is selected in Comment

Andrew Tyler January 20, 2021

The Reporter of an issue/request is no longer receiving an email when 'Reply to customer' is selected when adding a 'Comments', or if one selects 'Respond to customer' in the status drop-down at the top right of an issue.

This only started happening two weeks ago for new calls; if one selects 'Reply to customer' for an issue created more than two weeks ago, an email notification is sent to the 'Reporter'.

Any assistance would be gratefully received.

Thank you.
Regards, Andrew Tyler

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2021

Hi @Andrew Tyler ,

Could you maybe post some details about one of those requests that fails?

One thing you could try is the "notification helper" https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/use-the-jira-admin-helper/

What I do think about initially, how were these items created? Do they have a Request Type linked to them? (cause that triggers the customer notifications)

Hello, @Dirk Ronsmans 
Thank you for getting back so quickly.

The items are created by a colleague sending an email to our Service Desk (servicedesk@costcutter.com) which triggers Jira to create an issue/item.
There is no particular Request Type linked to an issue; this is manually selected by the Service Desk Agent dealing with the call, to make it relevant to the issue that the colleague is experiencing.

I have used the Jira Admin Helper (Notification Helper) and it came back with the below:

Notification Helper result.PNG

We have recently added an Issue Security Scheme, as we wish to restrict access to particular issues for particular groups of users, so suspect that this may be the cause?

Regards, Andrew

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2021

Judging by what the helper is throwing back I would think that to be the case yes.

A Request Type for example is needed when you want the tickets to show up on the portal for that user but I'm not a 100% it's also needed for the notifications. As these are created through email it should already have a default Request Type linked to it anyway.

Since the helper is complaining about the permission that would make sense. Is that person the reporter of the issue then? If so, I'd suggest adding Reporter and possibly also "Service Project Customer - Portal Access" to your security scheme.

It makes sense that if they are not allowed to view the issue in any way they would also not get notifications as you cannot control what they do with the information of the notification.

I would look towards that direction.

Thank you, @Dirk Ronsmans 

We have temporarily removed the Issue Security Scheme and Reporters are now receiving notification emails again!
We shall heed your advice about adding 'Reporter' and 'Service Project Customer - Portal Access' to the security scheme when we try again with restricting access ... so not everyone is affected! 😉

Thank you for your prompt and knowledgeable responses.
Regards, Andrew

Like Dirk Ronsmans likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events