Replies from external email addresses creating new issue

Dion Le Roux January 15, 2021

We are experiencing an issue where recently any replies to a service desk comment notification from an email address that is not associated with a customer are creating new issues rather than a comment on the issue that appears in the subject line. When we first set up the system any replies from non customer addresses were ignored but at some point, after a cloud update, we found that the permissions had been set so that anyone could add a new issue. At that point though, if replies came from non-customer addresses, they would be added as a new comment to the issue id in the subject. Recently this has changed. Does anyone have any idea whether we can edit the inbound message handler/processor to make it so these replies get added as a comment to the correct issue? 

1 answer

0 votes
Josana de Hesselle January 15, 2021

We have our permissions set so anyone can create a new issue by email, and what you describe (if email is sent from an address not already associated to the issue in any of [reporter| assigned user| requested participants] then it creates a new issue) has happened from day1, regardless of the email subject containing the relevant issue reference number. 

So I'm also looking for a way to adjust the message handler to look for the reference number first and if found to add the sender to requested participants and add the comment to the original issue. 

Dion Le Roux January 15, 2021

Thanks for the comment Josana. Good to know it has always worked this way for you. I think it was how new default settings were created after an upgrade that allowed this for us. At one point recently we noticed that anyone could comment and then shut that off but so many users had got used to being able to comment from their secondary email addresses that we got a lot of complaints so we turned it back on. I suspect that is what caused the change to where we are now. 

We use the JEMH add on for processing notifications so I’m going to explore if there is a way to make that do what we want as it appears the default Service Desk handlers don’t and aren’t editable. I’d love to hear otherwise though! 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events