Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reopening emailed cases

David Coveney November 25, 2020

We've recently started using Service Desk. Seems good, why not have it in the same place as our issues and save trouble, right? Except I'm vexxed with email support.

Our customers are well used to emailing in requests - they drop us a line at support@ and in comes the email.

I've set that up, in comes the email, an issue is raised, it's in the queue.

I say "Thanks, we've fixed that, let us know if you have further problems." I mark the issue as Resolved, all is good.

Customer then lets us know there's still a problem. The issue gets an extra comment... but the issue stays closed. After research, it seems I need to set up automation. So I do, I use the default for this that's there.

And it doesn't work. It doesn't fire. It *does* fire if the case was raised by me, an actual user. But not the anonymous external email.

So I edited down the automation to what seems to be the bare minimum. Still no joy.

All I want is an issue to not stay closed if someone's commented back on it - too much risk of issues lying lurking, for ever, as who looks at closed issues?

I'm so frustrated by trying to get service desk working right that I'm debating jacking it in. We're a small company and didn't expect a system so hard to configure that we need to develop a high level of systems expertise for it.jira-automation.png

2 answers

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 25, 2020

There is a known and active Atlassian reported issues w/ Automations - https://jira-software.status.atlassian.com/incidents/x5yqyntc3kys 

:-(

David Coveney November 27, 2020

Thanks - may have been why nothing was running! Doesn't help with debugging!

0 votes
Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 25, 2020

David,

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with the tool. It sounds like you've got things set up fine.

Can you do  me a favor and post a screenshot of the Automation rule audit log or tell us what it says when an external customer responds to a resolved ticket?  You can blur out any sensitive information!

Thanks!

Kian

David Coveney November 27, 2020

Thanks - well, looks like automations were a bit wobbly when I was trying to debug. They suddenly all fired off, but gave different results.

What I realised with emails coming in is that if you're checking for a user, an email doesn't seem to count. Instead, I changed the rule to check if the comment was raised by anyone other than the assignee and reopen in that case - that works fine and will be OK for our use case.

Limitation of the variables available to use, I guess.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events