Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received email unreadable

Martin Harrington January 12, 2021

Hi,

We've setup our service desk in the Jira and on the whole it's working great.  The main issue we have received emails are so poorly formatted we can hardly read them.

We use o365 with safelinks.  Emails from outside our organization are so poorly formatted with attachments and content almost unreadable and now way to see the email in it's original / non corrupt format.

I have seen some suggestions of making some 'code' changes to assist but I have no idea how to do this.  How can Atlassian create a product that can't ingest and format email correctly?

Any assistance appreciated.

Thanks.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2021

Jira sends emails with a pretty standardised and legible format by default. 

If emails from outside your organisation are "poorly formatted", you should be looking to fix wwhatever it is in your organisation's email services it is that is mangling them.

Atlassian have created a product that ingests and formats emails correctly.  The problem sounds to be on your side.

Martin Harrington January 13, 2021

I might not have made the issue clear.

The issue is when viewing emails received by Jira Service Management.  When we look at the emails which have been converted into tickets in Jira, the formatting has been modified from the original....

Like the below ticket below...

jira-email.PNG

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 14, 2021

Yes, I have totally misunderstood the question.  It appeared to be a problem with rendering email that Jira was sending to me.

Re-reading it as incoming mail, my answer changes a lot:

Jira is taking the content of your emails and trying to render them as best it can from the content, but your emails appear to have call outs to other systems instead of  a copy of content, images embedded that are in a non-standard format, or non standard html.

This is not uncommon, I often use an email client that is similar.  It has a button for "display external content" which would allow it to go out and fetch the external content.   It also struggles with poorly written html content.

Jira doesn't have anything to fetch external content, and nor does it do well with bad html.  I think that's the two parts of the problem you are having here - use of external (i.e. insecure) content, and poorly formatted emails from the source.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events