Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Read access to all issues in JSD

Hi

I have three instances two JSD and one Jira Software. I want the users in Jira Software to be given read only access to all the tickets in two projects in one of the service desks.                Can I give regular Jira users access to Jira service desk tickets without giving them agent roles? I don't want them to be agents. I just want them to see the project and be able to see the issues, be able to add comments and see the status, see dashboards etc. If so how do I do it? They are not agents.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted

@Chaya Tanna -

Welcome to the community.  You can grant your Jira software users with your JSM project's "Service Desk Customers" role.  This will allow them to access the issues via the portal UI.

However, if you want your Jira software users to be able to access the JSM issues via the project UI, then you will need to change your JSM project's permission scheme to include them with the "Browse Project" permission.

It will make your job easier if your Jira software users are associated with one common user group, so you can use the group instead of individual users to execute the above recommendations.

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Hi Joseph, thanks so much for your quick response! Do you mind giving me some further instructions? I gave the users access to the Portal UI, but they don't see the list of issues.

What I don't want to do is give a license to all these users to just see the issues. Right now they all have licenses (for a small company we do not need 165 agents which is what the previous admin did). I have set up a group that I can add all the users to (I called it (Read Only) - so do I then add the Browse Project permissions or where? Sorry, I just don't want to break anything! thanks!

@Chaya Tanna -

In the Portal UI, your Jira software users will need to search for the issues.  You don't need (JSM AGENT) licenses for users to view issues.

To add the group with "Service Desk Customer" role - Go to your JSM project's Project settings >> People

2022-05-11_11-32-48.png

To modify the permission scheme  - Go to your JSM project's Project settings >> Permissions

NOTE - You will need system admin rights to edit the permission scheme.

1) Click on "Edit permissions" to access the permission edit screen.

2022-05-11_11-35-21.png

2) Inside the edit permission UI, click on Update for the Browse Project permission

2022-05-11_11-36-00.png

3) In the pop-up screen, select Group and obtain your group and click on the Update button to complete the change.

2022-05-11_11-36-32.png

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph

Thanks so much! Appreciate the quick responses. I am going to give this a try now.

@Chaya Tanna -

If my suggestions helped you.  Please click on Accept Answer when you have a chance.

Best, Joseph

Hi there, so this didn’t work for me. This user doesn’t have Jira software access. I want to check with you, are you saying the user needs a Jira Software license? Essentially there’s no view access unless a user has a license to JSW? What if we just need read access to the tickets, ability to add comments and attachments?  But they don’t have a license to either product?

@Chaya Tanna -

If users doesn't have Jira software license, then they cannot access issues hosted in the JSW projects.  This also means that they cannot add comments/attachments. 

However, if you just need those users (in this case they are not JSW users) to access your JSM issues, then they will need to be setup as customers and be added to JSM issues' "Requested Participants".  Once he/she is added as issue's requested participants, then they can access the issue via the portal UI.

Here is a link on Requested Participants.- https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-management-cloud/docs/what-are-request-participants/

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Service Management

Coming Soon: Insight Changing to Assets

The 2020 acquisition of Mindville added powerful asset and configuration management capabilities to Jira Service Management in the form of Insight. Following the completion of that integration, custo...

289 views 2 9
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you