Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Celebration

Earn badges and make progress

You're on your way to the next level! Join the Kudos program to earn points and save your progress.

Deleted user Avatar
Deleted user

Level 1: Seed

25 / 150 points

Next: Root

1 badge earned

Collect

Participate in fun challenges

Challenges come and go, but your rewards stay with you. Do more to earn more!

Challenges
Coins

Gift kudos to your peers

What goes around comes around! Share the love by gifting kudos to your peers.

Recognition
Ribbon

Rise up in the ranks

Keep earning points to reach the top of the leaderboard. It resets every quarter so you always have a chance!

Leaderboard

Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Question regarding the project permissions

Hello all, 

we would like to add external Partners to our Jira Service Management in order to allow them to work on specific tickets with our customers who only have portal only users. 

They should be able to send comments to the customer and change the workflow status.

They should not be able to add customers to the portal.

However, the ability to write comments to the customer and add customers to the Portal seems to be linked in the option "Serviceprojekt-Agent" within the project permission configurations.

Is there any way to seperate these two things? 

Thank you in advance!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted

Hi @Carolin Jonietz

The reason is linked to that group is because in order to be able to work on a ticket, transition it and comment it to the customer is by using a Jira Service Management license.

Without a license but still in the Service Desk role, a user could see the tickets and add only internal comments (no viewable by the customer).

If the users in the external partner are using a JSM license, then it is feasible configure the permission scheme in the project to allow another group to add comments, but keep in mind that they need to have a license in order to the comment be publicly viewable.

Here is a link explaining the permissions on Jira Cloud: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-management-cloud/docs/overview-of-jira-cloud-permissions/

These permissions can be changed on the Project's settings, option: Permissions. Please be aware that these permissions could be shared among other projects before doing any change to it.

image.png

Hopefully this answers your question.

Regards,
David

Hello David, 

thanks for the fast response. I am however not sure if I can follow you.

The user is in the group "jira-servicemanagement-users". This means that the user is using up a license, does it not? 

The user also has the toggle enabled for site access and Jira Service Management. 

In the permission scheme for the project I enabled the user to add comments as shown in your screenshot. 

As soon as I take away the user from "Serviceprojekt-Agent", he can no longer add comments to the customer, only internal ones even though "add comments" is still enabled for the user.

Unfortunately the link you've shared doesn't include that information.

Thank you in advance for clarifying! 

Hi @Carolin Jonietz

Indeed, if that's access group for JSM, then the vendors are agents.

You can remove the group Serviceprojekt-Agent from the possible groups that can add a comment and replace it with whatever group you want, as long as the members of that group hold a JSM license, they would be able to write the comment.

• Create a group for the Vendors.
  • Remove the Serviceprojekt-Agent from the Add Comments permission.
  • Add the newly created group for the Vendors in the Add Comments permission.

Please note that the vendors would be members in both groups, but only the new group would be able to add a comment.

Hopefully this answers your question.

Regards,
David

Hello David, 

I am sorry, but I think there might be a misunderstanding here. 

• Create a group for the Vendors.
    >>> I have created a group for the vendors.

• Remove the Serviceprojekt-Agent from the Add Comments permission.
    >>> "Serviceprojekt-Agent" is not a group. It's a configuration option within the permission scheme for the project. I am using the German version of the Jira Service Management, so I am not sure how it's called in English (I assume it's "service project agent). 

• Add the newly created group for the Vendors in the Add Comments permission.
    >>> I added the group under "Add comments"

The user cannot add comments that are visible in the customer portal, only internal ones. 

The only way to allow the user to add comments is by adding his group or project role to the service project agent permission. I don't want to do this because it gives that user the permission to invite and delete customers from the Portal. 

Best regards

Hi @Carolin Jonietz

After reviewing,  if the vendors users hold a license, they would be able to invite customers.

image.png

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-management-cloud/docs/add-a-customer-to-a-service-project/

And in order to make a public comment, they need to be an agent,  so there is no way of allowing them to make a public comment but not being able to add customers.

Hopefully I got the question right this time, kindly review my answer and let me know if you have further questions.

Regards,
David

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS

Atlassian Community Events