Problems Processing E-mail as Comments

Jeff Santos July 30, 2021

We have a JSM Project with a Customer Portal in witch we want the e-mails replied turn into comments on issues

However we noticed that comments are not being added and we are getting errors on e-mail handler logs regarding to lack of permission to add internal comments

image.png

The error says "You do not have permission to create internal comments in this issue".

The fact is that we do not want it to be internal, once it must be visible on portal. Furthermore, we have checked and granted almost all permissions to Service Desk Portal Access and it does not work. We also granted the acccess to "Any logged in user" and it didn't work too.

When an agent answer an e-mail, the comment is processed normally.

I'm sharing my configs:

image.png

Permissions:

image.png

Portal Settings

image.png

2 answers

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 3, 2021

Hi @Jeff Santos

just a question: are the users sending mails in (crist***.com.b*) also added as agents? I recall that this could be some source of errors.

Other than that: are you using the mail handler offered by Jira Service Management according to this documentation?

https://confluence.atlassian.com/servicemanagementserver/receiving-requests-by-email-939926303.html

There is also a more basic Mail Handler which is not intended to use with Jira Service Management:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/creating-issues-and-comments-from-email-938847641.html

Could you please confirm the below one is not used (as in configured additionally by mistake) and only the first mentioned on the top is in use?

Could you probably share an anonymized screenshot of those parts of the configuration?

Also is it made sure that the ones who should comment are already involved in the particular requests (^= for example, they are the reporter or listed in Request Participants?).

Cheers,
Daniel

Jeff Santos August 4, 2021

Hi @Daniel Ebers

just a question: are the users sending mails in (crist***.com.b*) also added as agents? I recall that this could be some source of errors.

They are all unlicensed customers. By the way, I to add them as service desk team role and/or grant permission as Agents and it didn't work as well.

Other than that: are you using the mail handler offered by Jira Service Management according to this documentation?

https://confluence.atlassian.com/servicemanagementserver/receiving-requests-by-email-939926303.html

Yes. I have three other Service Management. The difference is that on this one, the customers are receiving a custom notification and they should not have access to the portal (they are not added as customers to this project). I want them to be able to comment but they can't see the issue neither the portal. What is intriguing me is that it worked at the beggining. I might have made some change and it's not working anymore...

There is also a more basic Mail Handler which is not intended to use with Jira Service Management:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/creating-issues-and-comments-from-email-938847641.html

Could you please confirm the below one is not used (as in configured additionally by mistake) and only the first mentioned on the top is in use?

Yes, I'm using the Service Management Mail Handler.

Could you probably share an anonymized screenshot of those parts of the configuration?

Here it goes!

image.png

Also is it made sure that the ones who should comment are already involved in the particular requests (^= for example, they are the reporter or listed in Request Participants?).

This might be the point. They are not reporter and are not participants too. They should not see the portal nor the issuea. I must make sure they are not added to the project as customer because they cannot see each other comments, as we are talking about sensitive information. It must work as a BCC mail received and only replied to the sender. 

I'm sure it worked. The comments appeared on the issue with a tag "No access to request". That's what I want! It's not working anymore and I don't know why =/.

Once they are not added to the portal, I'll try to add them as participants to see if the comment is processed.

Thank you for your time and help!

0 votes
Jeff Santos August 3, 2021

I REALLY don't know what is happening and don't know what to do either.

The permission seems ok:

image.png

image.png

image.png

Jeff Santos August 4, 2021

I realized that all my screenshots  turned into the same.

Here are te other one showing the error to the same same the permission indicated ok:

image.png

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events