Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prevent ticket updates on "Resolved" tickets

Barry Evans December 10, 2021

Hi,

I would like to stop my customers from being able to comment on "Resolved" tickets and send a message that say something like "The ticket is closed, raise a new one"

I have extensively researched this, but have been unable too find a suitable solution.

I can disable comments on a ticket of a certain status, by following the instructions here:

Solved: How can I prevent comments on a closed issue? (atlassian.com)

However when using this method, if the user replies on email to a "Resolved" ticket, because the correct permissions don't exist a new ticket is created!

I have also looked into using Automation, but the only trigger I can find is when ticket comments are updated, which is too late as I want to prevent ticket updates on "Resolved" tickets.

Is anyone able to recommend a way to achieve this?

Thanks

Barry

1 answer

2 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 10, 2021

Hi Barry,

I haven’t tried this in a long time but may give it a shot in a little bit you may want to see if it works for you. 

use jira.permission.comment=denied in the resolved step. 

Please note that you also mentioned that you want to inform do use are attempting to comment to open a new ticket. The only way to do this is to allow them to comment and use automation to then respond immediately to the customer. I realize you mentioned this in your post and appeared not to want to do so, however, I feel this is the best solution personally.

Thanks for the reply.

The issue with this is, if someone replies to the ticket via email with the jira.permission.comment=denied setting set a new support ticket is created, presumably because the user no longer has the permissions to make an update to the original ticket.

Do you know if there is a way round that?

Thanks,

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 10, 2021

I do not. But isn’t that what you want anyway, them to create a new ticket vs. comment? Again, it seems the best solution is to allow comment but use automation to respond/redirect them.

No, not really. The new ticket creation is confusing at best. The title ends up being something like ITSD-100 RE: ITSD-99 Original Ticket Description.

Any comment the user has put is then out of any context.

The desired behavior, is when a customer replies to a closed ticket, the update is not made on the ticket and the customer gets and email stating the ticket is closed and to raise a new one.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 11, 2021

That specific behavior isn’t possible today.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events