Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prepopulate email address in Jira Service Desk widget

Kieren Veerapen August 17, 2020

Hi,

Is there a way to pre-populate the users email address in the Jira Service Desk widget?

Currently when users want to create an incident using the form, they have to enter their email addresses each time they complete the form. Our users have requested if we can pre-populate the email field in the widget.

See pic below:

Screenshot 2020-08-17 at 14.28.16.png

Kind regards,

Kieren

1 answer

3 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 17, 2020

There is no way to do that. that is what the Portal if for, knowing who is opening a ticket. If you had a webpage where the customer first logged in then you might be able to populate the field via the API. But again, that is analogous to the Portal.

Kieren Veerapen August 17, 2020

Hi Jack,

Thanks for your reply.

We do have Authorisation in our web application, so assume we would be able to populate the field with the users details. However, I've taken a look at the API documentation and can't find out how to do so. Could you point me in the right direction please?

Kind regards, 

Kieren

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 17, 2020

TBH, I have never attempted so not able to identify if/how this would be possible. I will ping others to chime in here if they have ideas.

Like Kieren Veerapen likes this
Manee Osman July 10, 2021

Hi, 

Is this doable? 

Or can you completely disable the email field? 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 10, 2021

No you cannot disable that field. A valid email address is absolutely required in order to create an issue. Every issue inside Jira must be associated with a user and that user is based on an email address.

The one thing that the widget gives you is A form-based manner in which a person can open an issue without having to log into the portal. While a person could open an issue via email without logging into the portal it is not form-based. The only thing an email captures is the subject in the body which resolves to the summary and the description of an issue.

Manee Osman July 10, 2021

Thanks, Jack for the quick reply. 

Is there a way to autofill it if they have already signed into your website using an email? 

Thanks again! 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events