Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Populating fields based on organization

Julian Emmerling November 12, 2021

Hi there,

we are using JIRA Service Management Server hosted locally on our own infrastructure.

Currently revamping our on-prem Servicedesk and the following requirement has been brought up:

Based on the set organization on an issue (which automatically gets populated based on the reporter) we want to set 3 additional custom fields automatically with data relevant to the customer.

All of the information required can (currently isn't but can be changed) be found in the name of the Organization itself.
For example my Organization is named:
"<CustomerName> [Customer ID] <CustomerAbbreviation>"

We want to assign each of those 3 properties that are found in the name to a dedicated custom field that is not changeable.

I already have a rough setup in mind using a read-only custom field and assigning the values via Automation for JIRA - however we have hundreds of different customers and I would either need an automation rule for each of them or one really large automation rule that handles every customer.
Also I would need to provide these 3 property values manually for each customer which is frankly a pretty high amount of work and also needs to be adapted for each new customer/change.

I suspect there is probably a more efficient way to do this, but I need help in realizing this.

We also have access to the Scriptrunner Addon, but no experience using this yet - I would expect a script could read the Orgnization of an issue and then extract the properties as required.
Additional Addons can be bought if they supply this functionality.

Thanks in advance for any inputs!

2 answers

0 votes
Nigel Rochford
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 17, 2021

We have an app that enables you to capture information about your clients (at the organisation level) and then use this information in context in JSM or JSW issues (via an issue glance). 

JSM organizations are automatically sync'd into the app so that you can add information about them centrally (e.g. whether they have valid support entitlement or whether they have lapsed). You can define your own custom fields and capture the information you want to capture.

The information can then be used in JQL - e.g. for SLAs, or automation.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1222515/crumbs-simple-crm-for-jira-and-jsm

0 votes
Julian Emmerling November 12, 2021

Addendum:

I've read Scriptrunner can read external CSVs, so another option would be to run a Script everytime the organization is set/changed to pull this information from a file and then set the fields accordingly.

Any help with that would be greatly appreciated.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events