Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Please provide steps / documentation for Jira refresh on windows

Please provide steps / documentation for Jira refresh 

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted

Ok, that helps me understand what you mean by refresh, but actually confuses me a bit more.

You say

>windows not on Linux

Yep, great, that's important to know 

>steps / document for Jira sandbox refresh,

Ok, still not sure what "refresh" means here, but it's the next bit I am stuck on:

> Jira should be zero that means with out any data means what ever there in the production.

Is that a system with no data (other than a clean install) or a copy of production?  "without any data means whatever there is in production" contradicts itself.

But, we can make a start on your docs.  Broken down into independent steps, and on my assumption that your "refresh" does mean "get a copy of the current production data into the sandbox Jira", then, from scratch, I would

• Check the version of the Jira system you have now
  • Download and run the windows installer for the same version
  • Give it your development licence key during the installation
  • Connect it to a sandbox database, ideally of the same type and version that you have in production
  • Make sure you can log into it as administrator
  • Make sure it is configured as a sandbox - no network access to production systems, turn off incoming and outgoing mail, etc.  This is a critical part of the setup - you do not want your sandbox connecting to any production systems.

You now have an empty sandbox system

If you do want to work with a copy of production data, then you will need to

Stop the sandbox

• Get a backup of the production database, and import it into your sandbox database
  • (Optional, as Jira will just display placeholders if files are missing) Copy the attachments down from production (it's a flat recursive copy, nothing complex)
  • Start the Sandbox
  • Go to Admin -> Indexing and run a full locking re-index

Thanks Nic Brough,

Actually  Client asking me Like  Before granting all access to our backend systems, can you document the steps that will be done to refresh the sandbox? This will help us determine the level of access needed to complete the task

Thanks Nic Brough,

Actually  Client asking me Like  Before granting all access to our backend systems, can you document the steps that will be done to refresh the sandbox? This will help us determine the level of access needed to complete the task.

Um, I already gave you the list of things you'll need to do at a high level.

More detailed steps depend on your servers, network architecture, access levels, software dependencies and so-on.  I can't tell you how you might be able to run an installer on a windows box I know nothing about, beyond "run the installer and answer the questions with settings that fit with your rules about how to run applications and store their data"

Thanks Nic Brough,

Let me follow the steps which you shared in the above answers.

Thanks Nic Brough,

Actually I am saying here we are using on windows not on Linux the question is i need to prepare a steps / document for Jira sandbox refresh, Jira should be zero that means with out any data means what ever there in the production.

Maruthi.

0 votes

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

What do you mean by "refresh"?

Usually, "refresh" to me means "rebuild a dev/test system with the current data from production", but that is quite subjective to the field in which I've spent most of my career.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Service Management

Coming Soon: Insight Changing to Assets

The 2020 acquisition of Mindville added powerful asset and configuration management capabilities to Jira Service Management in the form of Insight. Following the completion of that integration, custo...

467 views 3 13
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you